• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1915 buffalo nickel joined the herd last night

8 posts in this topic

got this one last night ..........

.......graded "gem brilliant unc. full strike" by the seller  does not get much better struck than this.

5902695012247__57_obv.jpg.93e634da2b3cf8408caaefd4292a6cf1.jpg59026954c9ca9__57_rev.jpg.7eaf545f88ae74ee96154e6e441b36eb.jpg

I'm not nearly as impressed with the coin as are a number of posters on the PCGS forum. There appears to be a large carbon fleck at the obverse rim at approximately 6:30 and a possible scratch in the lower left reverse field. I have also heard enough first-hand reports regarding highly flattering images from that seller, such that I believe it.

My grade-guess is MS (not Proof) 64 or lower, but I look forward to an in-hand update.

The strike looks a solid MS65 to me but the speck and possible scratch could lower the grade if the coin hasn't been cleaned. There's a reason some of this sellers coins aren't in holders and you can find hundreds of those on past topics here. I won a sharp Buffalo from GS last year. It did have the details I saw in the photo's but lacked luster and appeared cleaned. Sent it back for a refund which went smoothly. They are selling

quite a few slabbed coins these days in their auctions and many can be won at below market values. It may be possible to remove the "Spot" with proper conservation. Good luck!

http://www.coinlink.com/News/us-coins/the-effect-of-carbon-spots-on-copper-nickel-coins/

Well,  you were right about the black spot to the south of the date.  It is a small “pit”  that has a “rusty” look to it.  I thought that maybe this was a flap of felt that overlapped the coin,  sometimes sellers use a felt pad to place their coins on when photographing.

So the coin got sent back to the seller.  It had been described as “Gem Brilliant Uncirculated, fully struck”  With the obvious pit south of the date it would have come back from a grading service something like   “ms60 details, environemtal damage”.  And the color 

is a light silvery gray, nothing like what the picture looks like.  So sorry much ado about what turned out to be nothing.  

I had to wonder if the picture was not somehow enhanced to get the beautiful golden brown sunset color??

first time around this coin sold for $910 (to me and I got a refund)

second time it went for $299 and change.  

both times description was “gem br. unc. fully struck”.