• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charmy's Brief April 2017 SANTA CLARA COIN SHOW REPORT w/lots of pics!

6 posts in this topic

Since I'm getting ready to leave for the Central States show, this report will be brief. I really enjoy attending this show as it is one of the few times I make it up to Northern California for a show, and I get to see many of my regular NoCal customers. The show can be hit or miss, but is usually worth it for me since I have several Northern California customers that are avid penny collectors. This time it was a hit for me. Overall the attendance was average, but my sales were better than average!

Santa Clara is about a 6-hour drive for me so it was a good time to get in some quality audio book listening for me! I've been listening to several books in a series by Greg Isles and am currently listening to Mississippi Blood.

a3l43kby1s7q.jpg

left Thursday morning and arrived at the Santa Clara Convention Center early in the afternoon for set up. The convention center is right next to the new Levi Event Center.

hwidgm4hsc7z.jpg

7pge38vfba96.jpg

After I set up my booth, I did my usual perusal of the bourse floor to see what goodies I could find. I only found a few coins to add to my inventory.

p6qsyxw8unu7.jpg

But I also found this crude but really cool padlock made out of three large cents to add to my penny exonumia collection! Unfortunately, it didn't come with a key.

14hzk9de99wc.jpg

2fiu5wj0dhys.jpg

gwbpdkotukhq.jpg

After set was over, I headed over to Bay 101 to play some poker. I played some 8/16 limit but unfortunately, the poker Gods were not on my side this time!

e0wlzm6eiqwe.jpg

The next morning we had a decent amount of public come in the show and I stayed pretty busy up until early afternoon. Several of my regulars came by and picked out some nice pennies for their collections. I was especially happy to see this pretty 1909 Matte Proof Lincoln go to a good home!

tsukjy920jv8.jpg

Also, a few forum members stopped by to say hi.

Kevin/SanctionII

f4wzxedo7kbc.jpg

ChrisRX and his lovely daughter Bella.

arxqt0e8ocn4.jpg

Nina of Kagin's Rare Coins & Auctions was working hard getting consignments for Kagin's next auction scheduled for the September Santa Clara show. She happened to have an adorable polka dot dress on which went well with the polka dot bag and wine bag I had!

yxldrgbr4e3w.jpg

I brought a couple of Rombauer wines with me and opened up one after the show died down.

ctcs0yjdj4da.jpg

After the show was over, a group of us went to Tusca which is the restaurant in the Hyatt attached to the convention center.

8srtxyz8z8uo.jpg

This is Moe, our waiter. He has been working at Tusca for more years than I've been doing the Santa Clara show, even well before when PCGS owned the show. He also works at Spencer's Steak House at the DoubleTree where the San Jose show is held. He is wonderful and takes good care of us!

9hte1ui1gzao.jpg

u260mkblhkl5.jpg

These are the wines that were brought to share.

kpfasldu01mg.jpg

Everyone opted for the buffet since they had an excellent selection of everything, including Häagen-Dazs ice cream!

1n6c2l5btl1t.jpg

gum9qepwtxrq.jpg

19n1tmw9zckf.jpg

Saturday morning started out slow, but soon picked up. Though the show wasn't packed with people, the public seemed to stream in steadily and sales for me were strong. One of the nice things about the Santa Clara bourse floor is that it is spacious and there is plenty of room between the aisles. These were taken later in the day

7wo0rerw5gbc.jpg

dwrlfrbnkudb.jpg

My BFF Cindi was "manning" the ANACS booth so it was nice to get to spend some time with her throughout the show.

pmflk5aeh7pk.jpg

Another awesome dealer is my dear friend Glenn Holsonbake of Americana Rare Coins, here he is with his posse Luis and David.

vje59apfrc7v.jpg

After the show on Saturday, since there was a Monster Truck event at the Levi center, none of us wanted to deal with the traffic and blocked off streets surrounding the convention center so we just opted to go back to Tusca for dinner. I brought the other bottle of Rombauer cab I had with me and Joe brought this wonderful bottle of Eric Ross Pinot.

rm7u5t7tq4id.jpg

qoz8b1xamhbo.jpg

This time I had their amazingly delicious swordfish special.

1297aaa3uiev.jpg

On Sunday morning, since I had that 6-hour drive home, been fighting a chest cold, and also since I have to get ready to leave for Central States on Tuesday, I decided to pack up early and head home. It was a beautiful day and a nice uneventful drive home. I was happy to be able to continue listening to my audio book and it made the drive home fly by.

Once home, my little Penny was very happy to see me. This is her as I was preparing for the show. Whenever I'm working on coins, for some reason she loves laying all over them!

sf1h73s4oe1d.jpg

So that's it. Next up, the Central States show, then a nice long break in shows!!

Nice pictures; food looks good, as the wine is the finest to top off the continuum of numismatics. The cat seems a little bored, maybe some extra perks for the cat. Thank you very much for the informative view. At the end of the day El awaits each of us.