• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1970 Quarter minted on Canadian Quarter??

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone everheard of this? There was one of those posts telling people to look at thier quarters. There was a picture of an NGC slabbed 1970 quarter that was minted over a Canadian Quarter. Real or fake article?

1970-quarter-850x1224.jpg

(shrug) Says it is real.

NGC Cert: 1949701-013

Date/Info: 1970 S 25C STRUCK 1941 CANADA 25C 5.63 GR
Denomination: ON
Grade: MINT ERROR PF 65

NGC Price Guide: N/A
NGC Census: N/A
NGC Coin Explorer: N/A

How does a 1941 coin get struck by proof dies at San Francisco mint?

A mint worker brings it in and feeds it into the press, then smuggles it back out again.  There was a lot of hanky panky going on at the S mint in the early 70's.  There is also a 70 S quarter  struck on a 1900 barber quarter.  Probably made by the same guy.

Would be interesting to know if the employee(s) were ever caught making other items, and if so how the mint handled the situation.  I'd think the consequences would be quite severe to prevent this from happening; but, perhaps not if items like this, and others are around.  IDK-  was it one bad employee, several, poor management, or, just an overall bad culture / low morale at this branch mint during the early '70's?  Anybody know?     

A mint worker snuck something into a press and struck something he shouldn't have? 

No! Say it ain't so! 

There is a tradition of these sorts of shenanigans going back hundreds of years. This is nothing new. I hate these pieces, and think they are bull^%$#, but the public loves them. A press release and a news article about this draws a lot of attention, and a ton of bids from insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who don't know anything about coins. Whatever sucker got duped into this junk will be buried by it, but I can only hope that it prompted a few intelligent individuals to research, learn, and educate themselves. These sorts of folks will be valuable members of our hobby. 

This piece is right up there with the "dime on nail" that sold last year. Its the same sort of junk, garners the same sort of attention, and attracts the same sort of dumb buyer. 

I'm really ashamed that NGC "certified" this farce, but I'm not surprised. 

It's "legit" in the sense that it is a US 25c struck over a much earlier Canadian piece. And it was marketed by a well known top tier error dealer.

But did it have a little assistance in the making of it? D'oh!

Probably one at a time.  Harder to smuggle in and out and to recover the struck pieces.  More likely to get away with it if you just do one or two at a time.