• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

American Liberty 2017 Gold Coins

10 posts in this topic

It was reported that sales went smoothly the first day of release for the 2017 American Liberty. 15% sold. How does that stack up with recent years? Seems low to me.

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2017/04/sales-kick-off-for-2017-w-american-liberty-gold-coin.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Lyris&utm_campaign=DigitalEdition#

anyone buying?

18 minutes ago, numisport said:

10 years from now will these be the first high relief melt value coins ?

You may be right.  I'm not buying this one.  Don't like the design and the premium over gold value is too high.  I may pick one up in the secondary market when they drop to closer to melt value.

On 4/8/2017 at 6:59 PM, Zebo said:

It was reported that sales went smoothly the first day of release for the 2017 American Liberty. 15% sold. How does that stack up with recent years? Seems low to me.

Well there has been only one other to compare it to, the 2015.  I believe the 2015 had a significantly lower mintage limit and a much more popular design.  I seem to recall it sold out very quickly .  I don't think 15K the first bodes well either.  Typically when some new hyped item goes on sale, after the first couple days sales drop to a trickle..  Most every one that wants one gets in there the first day.

Personally I like the design. I saw these at the Baltimore show and, while I'm not going to put out the money for the gold coin, I'll definitely pick up the silver medals when they come out. If I recall, the reverse proof looked very nice, as did the enhanced unc. 

I am tied of putting out big bucks for every coin the mint issues. These coins have no historical importance and are just made to sell.

If the speculators make a killing on them 15 years from now more power to them. What is more likely is that there will be so much of this stuff, issued year after year, that it will be lost in the shuffle.

These new coins are interesting to me as privately issued silver rounds. In other words they don't interest me at all.

I don't think these will be melt value coins in 15 years, it's not a home run either but I do think the up and coming generation of coin collectors will like and collect this issue down the road. I personally like the design and find it much better than some of the other that's been released lately. Only time will tell. I ordered one and look forward to the silver issues when they come out. 

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:16 AM, Conder101 said:

Well there has been only one other to compare it to, the 2015.  I believe the 2015 had a significantly lower mintage limit and a much more popular design.  I seem to recall it sold out very quickly .  I don't think 15K the first bodes well either.  Typically when some new hyped item goes on sale, after the first couple days sales drop to a trickle..  Most every one that wants one gets in there the first day.

Agree.  Most collectors that want this issue bought it in the first couple of days.  The speculators and flippers will wait until the last few days before it goes off sale to see the what the production numbers are.  If it's low enough they'll jump in and buy it.  Not sure when the mint will stop selling it but it'll probably be available until the end of the year.