• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of the toning on this Seated Dime? [Grade Posted]

29 posts in this topic

It looks like so nice album toning to me. As for a grade, I'd say it's one of those AU-58/MS-63 coins. I think that there might be a slight rub on Ms. Liberty's breast, but that just might be an envelope toning spot.

BTW my grandmother would have loved that coin. She was born in 1883 and was drawn to anything with that date.

I agree with Bill - that looks like a very attractive and apparently original coin. I don't see the wear/rub that Bill does, and I would guess that this is an UNC coin. Very nice! 

Reverse color is nice and does not appear to have been played with in the past. Slight rub on breast keeps this out of uncirculated territory. Detail is about average. Nice coin to own and enjoy!

Beautiful dime.

That looks like Wayte Raymond toning.......although I don't know why the obverse didn't do what the reverse did.....

This was purchased raw a couple of months ago and the grade just posted today. I'm really glad I decided to get the TrueView on this one, as I would never have been able to capture the toning well enough to do the coin justice. The coin graded MS-64+ at PCGS which is one of only 5 coins of this date/mm to get the plus at the 64 level. Don't give up on raw coins, there are still great ones out there waiting to be found.

TrueView_83706722_Large.jpg

Congrats on the grade. It's a beautiful coin. I was at "AU-64" as its hard to tell

any MS coin from images alone.  Nice coin and the True View really juiced the 

Reverse in all its Glory !! 

Anyone have any idea why this coin is not a 65?  I see original white luster with no change of color on the high spots from "cabinet friction" (LOL).  Plus, beautiful color.  I'll bet if the "right" person sent it to PCGS it would be graded MS-65 in a heartbeat.  Perhaps the coin has hairlines we cannot see in the image.  That would be the only reason for the drop.  Anyway, we'll see the coin in a 65 holder on day.    

3 hours ago, Insider said:

Anyone have any idea why this coin is not a 65?  I see original white luster with no change of color on the high spots from "cabinet friction" (LOL).  Plus, beautiful color.  I'll bet if the "right" person sent it to PCGS it would be graded MS-65 in a heartbeat.  Perhaps the coin has hairlines we cannot see in the image.  That would be the only reason for the drop.  Anyway, we'll see the coin in a 65 holder on day.    

I'll bet the reverse toning is probably hiding some marks that are evident in hand, but don't show up well in the pictures. 

A couple of other people I have talked to feel the coin is a 65 as well, and that it will make it there eventually. The coin is going to CAC pretty soon in a group sub, so I don't have it in hand at the moment; but I will check for hidden hairlines when it gets back to me.

Here's a higher-res TrueView if anyone wants to take a closer look at the coin for the time being (It won't let me upload the full size image (5757x2905)).

4fb3W2M.jpg

(Open image in new window to see full size)

Thanks again.