• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Received coin today

7 posts in this topic

A few weeks ago I posted a Morgan dollar I bought. Very common, inexpensive. I posted the pics from the seller. I received some positive constructive feedback from members here. Today I had received it. I had to check the numbers to make sure it was the same the coin. It was 100% better then I thought like 2 different coins..I thought it would be more cameo, instead it's mirrored. Thought her cheeks were not all that clean, they are. I didn't see the rim toning, which I do like.  Here are some of the pics. I did learn a good lesson, I won't buy a expensive coin without seeing it first. Even though this one worked out .First one is sellers pic. 2nd is mine. Thought I'd share. 

$_3 (2).JPG

IMG_20170401_171019.jpg

Nice coin.  It's good to luck out, but it's a reasonably good bet buying a graded coin in an NGC fatty holder.   As time goes on, I'm becoming less enamored with buying coins without seeing them first.  Sure returns are great, but overuse that privilege and the well dries up real quick.

When I find a coin on my "hit list" at a show it has maybe a 5-10% chance of making the cut.  Good quality photos help, but there's always a chance it won't be quite as nice when it finally arrives.  Some of my best purchases have been off of the Internet, but unfortunately most of my big losers came that way too.  Find a high-quality dealer who has the same eye and stick to them like glue.