• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avoiding the kiss of death "improperly cleaned" designation

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a number of morgans and peace dollars that I would like to submit. Is there a way of determining via uploaded photos if any would qualify as "Improperly Cleaned"? I am in the market for a 1921 Peace, searching ebay I am amazed at the number of NGC "improperly Cleaned" exist. Again, I would like to become a new member but  I do not want to submit coins that would generate this grade.

• Administrator

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately we would not be able to provide an opinion via images as it may be difficult to see.  I would suggest using a desktop lamp (remove other light sources from the room) and rotate the coin under the lamp. You will be looking for hairlines on the coin which are a tell tale sign of improper cleaning.  Given the long history of these coins it is common to find some that have been cleaned at some point of their existence.