• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2017 Congratulations Set - Who's In?

52 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, numisport said:

How is this a 'set' if there is only one coin ?

United States Mint Limited Edition 2017 Silver Proof Set

https://catalog.usmint.gov/united-states-mint-limited-edition-2017-silver-proof-set-17RC.html

San Francisco (S)

$139.95
This product is currently on back order. Learn More
This product will be available for sale on October 05, 2017, at 12 noon (ET).
This product is currently unavailable. Learn More
This product is currently sold out. Learn More
This bundle is not available at this time.
Bulk customers must be logged in to purchase, please sign in.
Qty:
Add to BagAdd All to BagEnroll NowBack OrderRemind Me

Your quantity has been reduced to 100, due to product limit within single purchase.
Your quantity has been reduced to 9,999, due to product limit within single purchase.
You may only purchase 20 gift certificates

The coins included in this set are:

• (1) American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin with the “S” mint mark
  • (5) Quarters from the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program honoring Effigy Mounds National Monument in Iowa; Frederick Douglass National Historic Site in the District of Columbia; Ozark National Scenic Riverways in Missouri; Ellis Island in New Jersey; and George Rogers Clark National Historical Park in Indiana
  • (1) Kennedy half dollar
  • (1) Roosevelt dime
Item Number: 17RC
Mintage Limit: None
Product Limit: 50,000
Household Order Limit: 2

3 hours ago, rrantique said:

United States Mint Limited Edition 2017 Silver Proof Set

https://catalog.usmint.gov/united-states-mint-limited-edition-2017-silver-proof-set-17RC.html

San Francisco (S)

$139.95
This product is currently on back order. Learn More
This product will be available for sale on October 05, 2017, at 12 noon (ET).
This product is currently unavailable. Learn More
This product is currently sold out. Learn More
This bundle is not available at this time.
Bulk customers must be logged in to purchase, please sign in.
Qty:
Add to BagAdd All to BagEnroll NowBack OrderRemind Me

Your quantity has been reduced to 100, due to product limit within single purchase.
Your quantity has been reduced to 9,999, due to product limit within single purchase.
You may only purchase 20 gift certificates

The coins included in this set are:

• (1) American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin with the “S” mint mark
  • (5) Quarters from the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program honoring Effigy Mounds National Monument in Iowa; Frederick Douglass National Historic Site in the District of Columbia; Ozark National Scenic Riverways in Missouri; Ellis Island in New Jersey; and George Rogers Clark National Historical Park in Indiana
  • (1) Kennedy half dollar
  • (1) Roosevelt dime
Item Number: 17RC
Mintage Limit: None
Product Limit: 50,000
Household Order Limit: 2

He was talking about the Congratulations Set.  

18 hours ago, Morpheus1967 said:

He was talking about the Congratulations Set.  

I was just saying the Proof eagle with the "S" mint mark will soon be available again.:baiting:

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, Conder101 said:

And the only way to do that is unlimited mintages and accept all orders during a specific period.  The Mint has done that in the past as well, and when they do, they get nothing but complaints that they have flooded the market and ruined the aftermarket, because the coins then drop in value below issue price.

and, on the Flip Side, you have the Jackie Robinson $5.00 BU...

We all know a Dealer or hundred who could have bought the complete mintage of 75,000 Congratulations! sets all by himself; so The Mint sends out a few breadcrumbs to attract the Fish (hungry, hungry Fish); the Fish come and are there waiting for more, and here maybe come 50,000 'Limited Ed.' breadcrumbs, which the Fish gobble-up, because, you know... they're Fish

simply, The Mint's test-marketing worked, and now included are other coins which may not have been sold otherwise.

and just wait for the Christmas! (Thanks, President Trump) or Holiday! Edition; they're not done yet; not by a longshot

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:45 AM, e1cnr said:

If there was no household limit, could a dealer have bought 50,000 ?

Theoretically yes, although the mint might decline such an offer because it would cause a major dust-up among the collectors. It might also pose a problem for the dealer who made such a purchase because disposing of such a lot might be harder and more expensive because advertising costs that you might think. Just ask the guy who has cornered the market on 1909-VDB cents in Matte Proof.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:45 AM, BillJones said:

Theoretically yes, although the mint might decline such an offer because it would cause a major dust-up among the collectors. It might also pose a problem for the dealer who made such a purchase because disposing of such a lot might be harder and more expensive because advertising costs that you might think. 

Oh, Bill... he wouldn't need to advertise

"Sellout" as 'Expected' "Total Mintage of the 2017 'S' now stands at 125,000 pieces > 2nd Lowest of the American Silver Eagles. Bottom Line for the 2017 'S' { $139.95}

MINT 1.png

MINT 2.png

Close, should be 3rd lowest mintage I believe.  The 2011-S Burnished, and 2011-P Reverse Proof @ 99,882 per 2017 Red Book.  Fourth lowest if you wan't to count the 2008-W Burnished, reverse of 2007 @ 47,000.   

I bought one of the 2017-S LE sets- surprised it didn't sell out sooner!  

*Irrespective of the reverse proof or the 2008 reverse of 2007. Seeing that you purchased, would you agree that the bottom line is $139.95 for the 2017 'S', I cannot view it any other way? Actually, with all the disgruntled 'collectors', I am somewhat surprised on the quick sell out. Possibly, dealers using so-called proxies to accrue more. Your views here.

The household limit was lifted sometime yesterday; I believe around noon EST.  The set probably would have lingered for a few more days at (2) per household otherwise....  

Honestly, I'm surprised the mint lifted the HH limit- would have probably pushed the price down further in the secondary market otherwise, and established equilibrium sooner with true market value if there is such a thing: that is, assuming more "collectors" went to the site to purchase LE set.  Maybe there was concern perhaps with disappointing the other target market, "dealers."  As you noted, some dealers were paying others that lacked interest in the LE, $40 plus shipping per set- at least, that's what I read ATS.  Also, low mintage perceived rarity sellouts are probably good headlines for the mint- not delivering on scarcity may be embarrassing if that's your motive.  The U.S. mints sales model may be striking a balance between "dealers," and "collectors."  Not to get too conspiratorial.....:insane:  

As far as my thoughts on the 2017-S ASE priced at $139- IDK, probably more realistic at $100-$125.  The proof set mintage's appear to be on a downward trend, in general, over the past five years plus.  So, to purchase the ASE along with the other silver coins in the series makes more sense to me, than alone in a cheesy card board teaser.   

1 hour ago, PocketArt said:

The household limit was lifted sometime yesterday; I believe around noon EST.  The set probably would have lingered for a few more days at (2) per household otherwise....  

Honestly, I'm surprised the mint lifted the HH limit- would have probably pushed the price down further in the secondary market otherwise, and established equilibrium sooner with true market value if there is such a thing: that is, assuming more "collectors" went to the site to purchase LE set.  Maybe there was concern perhaps with disappointing the other target market, "dealers."  As you noted, some dealers were paying others that lacked interest in the LE, $40 plus shipping per set- at least, that's what I read ATS.  Also, low mintage perceived rarity sellouts are probably good headlines for the mint- not delivering on scarcity may be embarrassing if that's your motive.  The U.S. mints sales model may be striking a balance between "dealers," and "collectors."  Not to get too conspiratorial.....:insane:  

As far as my thoughts on the 2017-S ASE priced at $139- IDK, probably more realistic at $100-$125.  The proof set mintage's appear to be on a downward trend, in general, over the past five years plus.  So, to purchase the ASE along with the other silver coins in the series makes more sense to me, than alone in a cheesy card board teaser.   

Most certainly agree with the 'on the mark' synopsis in its entirety. I was unaware that the limit was lifted. Most assuredly, as you state that the L.E.P.S. sold out due to this fact, "no question". You are most knowledgeable as referring to the downward trend of the Eagles, which I totally agree. I would say there were approximately 250,000 players about seven years ago. The U.S. Mint knows the statistics more so than the collectors, due to the record keeping which they release not to anyone.

On 10/7/2017 at 11:52 AM, PocketArt said:

Close, should be 3rd lowest mintage I believe.  The 2011-S Burnished, and 2011-P Reverse Proof @ 99,882 per 2017 Red Book.  Fourth lowest if you wan't to count the 2008-W Burnished, reverse of 2007 @ 47,000.   

I bought one of the 2017-S LE sets- surprised it didn't sell out sooner!  

It is the second lowest proof, third if you want to count the 2011 Reverse Proof that was only part of the anniversary set:

(1995-W Proof) 30,125

(2011-P Reverse Proof ) 99,882

(2017-S Proof) 125,000

On 4/19/2017 at 5:45 AM, e1cnr said:

If there was no household limit, could a dealer have bought 50,000 ?

Yes, I believe a dealer could have bought as many as they wanted. But very unlikely any dealer bought that many. Although, I do see some large dealers online have large positions on these.

3 hours ago, CoinAuctions.net said:

Yes, I believe a dealer could have bought as many as they wanted. But very unlikely any dealer bought that many. Although, I do see some large dealers online have large positions on these.

There is only one online dealer with a large position on these, and that's Modern Coin Mart.  

US Mint Sales: 2017 Limited Edition Silver Proof Sets Dips to 49,314.

Sales of the closely watched 2017 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set dropped by 655 units for a new total of 49,314 sets, according to the latest figures from the United States Mint.
Released four weeks ago with virtually all 50,000 sets claimed within the first 32 hours, the U.S. Mint has been consolidating orders against returns and cancellations. In the prior two weekly sales reports, the set’s total had moved up by 26 and down by 25.

Total: 124,314 combined with the 2017 Congratulations set.

http://www.coinnews.net/2017/11/01/us-mint-sales-2017-limited-edition-silver-proof-sets-dips-to-49314/