• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1924 Wheat Penny

5 posts in this topic

Color is hard due to the lighting, and it does wash out some of the coins surfaces in the fields and in his hair.  But I'd go 66 as a guess on grade with what I can see.  (thumbsu

Hot dang, kmag! 66? I'm leaning more toward Unc details, cleaned. 

I don't actually think you'd get that if you submitted it, because I don't see hairlines, but this coin has clearly been dipped (recently). The surfaces appear bright, and are known as "pink" among copper collectors. There are also enough marks to top this one off at 64, for me. 

Can you take more lifelike pictures? Sometimes the lighting and saturation can make even a normally appealing coin look bright and cleaned (like this one). I'm hoping, for your sake, that this a bad photograph and not a bad coin. 

56 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Hot dang, kmag! 66? I'm leaning more toward Unc details, cleaned. 

lol...I could go cleaned too, because the lighting is washing out the coin a bit I can not get a real good feel of the surface.  However my first impression was 66 and I almost talked myself into 65, but I stuck with my first impression.  The Obv. looks solidly in the 66 camp to me. Assuming no improper cleaning, the knock would be on the rev.  I did not feel overly confident with calling it a 66.  (thumbsu(thumbsu  It will make the OP feel good

I agree with the others. It has Mint State sharpness, but the over exposed pictures make it impossible to say the color of the copper or if the piece has been dipped. The lack of hairlines indicates that the piece probably has not been cleaned with an abrasive.