• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conservation option?

19 posts in this topic

I was thinking this Liberty nickel looks better than MS64, and could benefit from conservation.  A little line, looks like it would conserve off on the obverse portrait.  Thoughts?

adsc-1377_orig[1].jpg

adsc-1380_orig[1].jpg

I had some luck with NCS conserving a shield 5c with spotting issues. Although it went from a 64 to a 65, my main motive was to preserve the coin as I could see the small problems getting worse. Value increase validated the decision but I would have done it anyway. Nice new holder too.

But conservation can be just a quick acetone dip, that does nothing to affect the skin.  I'm not familiar with the treatment on these with the metal involved and common surface issues.  It seems these have "spot removed" problems more often, not sure why.

I think the coin has already seen an acetone soak in the past....just look at the spot on the back which appears to have been partially removed. I don't know what caused the streak on her face and won't speculate about that because I do know how difficult Nickel can be to "conserve". If you already plan on cracking her.....give it a soak, otherwise, I'd not bother.  JMHO

That thin vertical line on the obverse of the nickel appears to be a hairline scratch,  I doubt that there is any way to remove it without damaging the coin. 

This is an interesting thread. I hope more before and after examples are posted. Regarding the SLQ I have trouble deciding which sort of ugly I prefer, but for that circulated coin at least, I like her with better with her makeup. However, I tend towards conservation when it comes to really grungy mint state 20th century coins. I still have a couple of white coins that I bought in the 50's and 60's that came out of old rolls and have remained white (not stored in albums BTW). So, white does not necessarily mean cleaned or unoriginal when it comes to 20th century type.  I also find it acceptable in many cases and occasionally preferable to conserve coins that have clearly been stored improperly, fingerprinted, or otherwise mishandled. I do err on the side of leaving the coin alone, has to look pretty bad before I mess with it.

The strike is weak and the luster is lacking. These will both limit your grade - even with conservation. 

I think overall, the patina is attractive. The ugly spot on the reverse should be removed before it does potential damage - but I don't think this coin will go up too much in grade (probably 64+, maybe 65 if you get really lucky). 

How about the possibility that the coin is just undergreaded to begin with?    I don't know about this series, but your coin looks very clean for the greade regardless of the spot/line.

21 hours ago, Davids5104 said:

I conserved this coin as an educational piece, obviously not for the value of the coin.  I was interested in seeing what it could do.  Ended up dropping 5 points on grade... now in NGC slab with link below

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2710249-004/

Coin1288(1).jpg

Thank you for sharing your experience.  So toning was hiding many tiny lines , hence downgraded after conservation?

Some coins you never dip, have to see what is under the toning, by no means easy.

The Liberty nickel is an old white holder, the apparent scratch is in the the holder.  s-l1600.jpg

I ran that coin and another through "appearance review" and heard back from NGC which thought the coins would grade the same 10/10.  The reverse issue is "blended" into the surface and the overall quality of the coin was solid according to NGC.