• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1934 P and D Washingtons for the Dansco

11 posts in this topic

Here are the 1934 P and D Washingtons for my A toner Dansco (there was no S mint this year).  As mentioned last week, for the 1934 - 1936 stretch of coins, I'm predominantly going for nice AU coins.  The P I got raw, and the D I cracked out of a PCGS AU55 slab.  The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1934_rWA1o1th.jpg

bc1934_rWA1r4.jpg

bc1934D_55WAo5t.jpg

bc1934D_55WAr4.jpg

The 34 D is very nice and the tone is attractive. A real positive addition to any collection. If you know Bob Campbell I would have him look at that MM again.  From the photo it looks as though it might be the more desirable variety;  the Medium Motto small D.  If so, there might be an increase in value.  Cherrypickers FS-25-1934D-501

1 hour ago, K.D. Lewis said:

The 34 D is very nice and the tone is attractive. A real positive addition to any collection. If you know Bob Campbell I would have him look at that MM again.  From the photo it looks as though it might be the more desirable variety;  the Medium Motto small D.  If so, there might be an increase in value.  Cherrypickers FS-25-1934D-501

Thank you for your kind words and for the info.

On 3/21/2017 at 0:10 PM, K.D. Lewis said:

From the photo it looks as though it might be the more desirable variety;  the Medium Motto small D.  If so, there might be an increase in value.  Cherrypickers FS-25-1934D-501

Thank you VERY much for the new images Bob!!!

I'm not really a variety guy.  Is this it or not?  Thank you for your help!

bc1934D_55WAmotto.jpg

bc1934D_55WArMM1.jpg

bc1934D_55WArMM3.jpg

hello SkyMan, I am having trouble navigating so I will try to answer your message here.  I jumped to conclusions when you said that Bob Campbell helped with your photos; I thought you were talking with Bob Campbell, the past president of the ANA, so I assumed that you would have a Cherrypickers Guide available.  Later I realized that Bob Campbell is not a rare name.  I will try my best to answer your questions but your best recourse is to get in touch with a dealer and ask for his help or get a Cherrypickers and view yourself or get the coin slabbed again with the proper attribution.  I own every example of 34D's motto and MM varieties (4); and every example of 34 P varieties also 4.   In my case i owned a "Large MM" so I was able to compare Mint Marks untill I completed the set.  It took eighteen years.  An excellent picture of the rare small MM is available on page 156 of the 4th edition of Fivaz/Stantons Cherrypickers guide with the aforementioned reference #.  The Mint Mark in your Photos look like it could well be the rare variety (D Mint Mark of 32) but no one could say for certain until the coin was in hand.  The quote from the Cherrypickers is "This is a very rare variety by any standard".  Sometimes the hunt for the proper attribution is as exciting as the coin, especially when you are rewarded monetarily.  At any rate I wish you the best in your efforts to assemble a collection of my favorite coin and I hope you enjoy the experience as much as I have over the last 64 years.  ken

On 3/21/2017 at 6:13 PM, numisport said:

Way high end coins even raw ! There is a few nice proofs from that era too.

Good call. I have a 36 PF 65 in a rattler that might be my nicest coin, among many of higher grades. Pale blue even tone. Someday i will figure out how to post a photo.