• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Altered Mint Mark?

11 posts in this topic

Thank you guys for the valued opinions. I had already purchased the coin, but the ebay photo of the reverse was not clear enough to see the issues with the mint mark. I just wanted to be sure I was getting what I paid for without causing too many problems for the seller. Thanks again for your help.

The coin is well-worn with a number of surface marks. This distortion could easily be minor damage. I would return or quickly sell it, if I acquired it, because it is not very desirable as such.

I sort of like the coin.  It has an old look to it, as though it spent its time doing what coins were meant to do: get used.

But I didn't like the mint mark so obliterated, and therefore I would have returned the coin too, just for that reason alone.

For my small US gold type set collection, one of its sub-goals is having at least one mint mark from each of the available mints.

As such, I want mint marks to be clearly discernible so that there would never be any doubt as to which mints they represent.

Definitely an S mintmark.  There is nothing wrong with this mintmark since this "S" is typical of the blocky style used during this era.  The normal wear makes it more blobby looking which is quite normal.