• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which US coins are examples of pareidolia?

6 posts in this topic

I've seen lots of photos on the forums of varieties. 1910 vdbs, RPM's, FSB's and the like that might qualify? Certainly wishful thinking abounds as we hunt for lost numismatic treasures.

Had to look up that word. I was so relieved to find that the word itself is not a numismatic term. Numismatically speaking any number of VAM's might qualify. I've run across this where I thought a coin was more valuable than it was until I examined it more closely and found out otherwise. Examples of this are dates and mintmarks you may perceive as valuable until you haul out your handy dandy redbook. It kinda takes the wind out of your sails but hope springs eternal. Regardless, I'm always glad to get a Mercury Dime, silver war nickel, wheat cent, and Indian Head cent in my change. I typically rush home and haul out the good ole redbook to see if I got a scarce coin! Yeah, I'm a little off track now but it's related.

pareidolia

/ˌpæraɪˈdəʊlɪə/

noun 1.

the imagined perception of a pattern or meaning where it does not actually exist, as in considering the moon to have human features

The NGC forum has less examples of it, but if you wander onto other sites you'll notice a seemingly infinite number of imagined DDOs, DDRs, RPMs, OMMs, errors, and other fantastic wonders.