• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back into the hobby

19 posts in this topic

I took a few years off after college. Been slowly getting into it again. I was looking for a nice Morgan.  One that just had that look. I went to 2 shows , looked online. I looked at 100s and nothing. I want to be a lot more pickey this time and finally I saw this one, just thought I would share.

$_3 (2).JPG

$_3 (3).JPG

$_3.JPG

$_3 (1).JPG

Apparently, I'm in the minority. There look to be noticeable abrasions on Liberty's cheek and some haze or cloudiness on the coin. As it's a very common coin, I think you can do quite a bit better. I hope you take my remarks as honest feedback, rather than an attempt to be negative. What counts, above all, is what YOU think of the coin.

Welcome back to the hobby! It is always great to have new folks around here, and I hope you have a lot of success! 

8 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Apparently, I'm in the minority. There look to be noticeable abrasions on Liberty's cheek and some haze or cloudiness on the coin. As it's a very common coin, I think you can do quite a bit better. I hope you take my remarks as honest feedback, rather than an attempt to be negative. What counts, above all, is what YOU think of the coin.

No, I agree with you. I would grade this coin 63 at best.

I would also highly recommend that you avoid coins with fingerprints (the obverse is covered in them). Some people don't mind them, but I personally strongly dislike them. The toning is mildly attractive, but it is secondary toning after the coin was dipped a few years ago (notice the splotchiness of the orangey rim toning, especially the bottom half of the obverse - characteristic of a dip-and-retone).

In the end, if you got this coin for a low price, you probably didn't do too bad - but I would not recommend paying a strong price for this coin. 

As you re-enter the hobby, make sure that you strengthen your grading skills. Learn to understand surface problems, and understand what good eye appeal and originality look like. Originality and eye appeal are the kings of the hobby. Learning to grade is absolutely the most important skill a collector can have. 

Again, welcome to the forums, and I hope you stick around. I may come off as rude, harsh, critical (or a number of other unpleasant words), but I really am just trying to help you grow as a collector. Congrats on your first purchase, and we hope to see many more great things from you in the future. 

Standards have tightened on the PL/DPL coins, I have had former DPL coins get downgraded to PL based on current standards.  I'm not sure how PL coins need to be to get that designation, but certainly on the common dates it is not hard to find examples with great eye appeal.

Bryce, I've been collecting US coins on and off for 60+ years. I always defer to the professionals when it comes to authenticity and probable grade/market value. When practical, I want more experienced eyes to look a coin over for me as well, to point out defects that I may have missed. A seasoned professional or collector (or even a more objective observer) can spot things in 10 seconds that you and I might not see for days, months or years. "Problems" will effect the ultimate market value, and, more importantly, our long-term satisfaction with a coin.

However, once I've done all that, the only opinion I care about at all is mine. These things are little works of art, to me anyway, which are ultimately matters of taste. 

I've been married for 50 years and have never asked another human "do you think my wife is pretty?".

I know you were just sharing and not asking for advice, but I couldn't help myself. Thanks for sharing.

Well thanks everybody. I just got a  GREAT education.  I knew it was ultra common. I just for some reason just really like  the look of it .  It had, what I thought, was a crusty, proof like original surfaces coin I guess I couldn't be more wrong.  It was a very inexpensive education, but made realize the importance of  sites like this where common interests, experienced professionals, and years of knowledge calminate for the good of each.  I will take this opportunity to learn from this. Thanks everybody!

This thread is a breath of fresh air.  Most newer posters/collectors do not react positively to anything except positive reviews.  It is nice to see someone take the advice and learn from their mistakes.  We have all been there.  Most of the regular posters here are quality and will not steer you wrong.  One of them (Mark Feld) was a former NGC grader and occasional CAC grader.

Welcome to the boards!  

I have purchased several coins that I find appealing but that I know will have little resale value when I decide to sell. Sometimes flaws, at least for me, make the coin. They create a look that the coin could never achieve otherwise.

If this was a better date coin it would only grade 63 IMHO. These were clunked around in bags every time they were counted for audit and thus picked up numerous scrapes and abrasions. If one could peel back the toning the coin would not be as appealing. However I do like that tone but I like higher grade coins when they are common dates.

I can see why some may not like the looks of the OP's coin but I do like it.

I like the distinct prooflike surfaces and the clean cheeks.

The toning and the prints don't bother me much and the old NGC slab is cool.  My 2 cents...

1 hour ago, Walkerfan said:

I can see why some may not like the looks of the OP's coin but I do like it.

I like the distinct prooflike surfaces and the clean cheeks.

The toning and the prints don't bother me much and the old NGC slab is cool.  My 2 cents...

(thumbsu

Unless you have very deep pockets, there are always better coins than the ones you have.  The trick is to know what it is, know the market, and pay accordingly.  If you like it, that's all that really matters.  I have a few coins in my collection that I really like that don't get much respect when I share them.  Big deal.

Oh, and from one Bryce to another, welcome!