• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this slabbed buffalo nickel .........

30 posts in this topic

hint:   it is an eBay auction,   auction number    122399201264

just copy and paste this number into the eBay search line and do a search on it.

you may be shocked.

My first thought was that it could be a VF, don't ask me why.  Rare overdate, maybe more leniency?  I think I remember hearing of someone cherrypicking one of those recently for common money.

I once cherrypicked one (1918/7-d) off of eBay that was in an ngc good-04 holder with no overdate attribution.  It is now in an anacs g-4 holder

I like it as a G-06, but I could see an argument being made for it being VG-08. 

The tops of the lettering (Liberty, United, and America), and the steak's head and tail, being worn and blended into the rim immediately preclude anything higher than VG. I generally like complete rims on a VG coin. The braid matches up best with a VG coin. The only thing that points to a higher grade is the horn - which, if you're going to grade an entire coin from a single detail, points to a high F. That would be an erroneous grade for this coin. Compare pictures here: https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Buffalo/Grades

Edited: Holy , just looked up the auction. That is ridiculous! Somebody graded that thing about $3k too high.... and unfortunately some poor bloke is going to spend $3k too much.... 

1 hour ago, t-arc said:

I once cherrypicked one (1918/7-d) off of eBay that was in an ngc good-04 holder with no overdate attribution.  It is now in an anacs g-4 holder

How do you cherry an 1918/7???!!!??? That is one of the most obvious overdates in existence! Congrats on that score. 

I think it was just a labeling an error on ngc’s part.  and it was not corrected when the coin was returned to the owner, who for some reason never got around

to getting the error corrected.  or must maybe it was an error on behalf of those at ngc who graded the coin.

When I buy a coin, I go for a certain "look" for each grade level, which may or may not match market-acceptable standards for wear, etc. In this case I would think in terms of VG10 money. JMO as a buyer and collector.

to Lincolnman

I agree with you 100 percent.  In the case of the buffalo nickel if you just look at the head of the buffalo you are making a big mistake.  For example I have seen some 1917-d buffs were there was a bit of weakness

in strike on the head that graded a strong xf and the horn was incomplete.  Gotta look at the whole coin.

My first instinct is to go F12. However, despite some weak high point definition, and some localized rim softness, the central definition of the obverse is very close to VF. This leads me to believe the graders might see other signs, like extra luster and lack of high point dullness, which would indicate the weakness is due more to late die state than circulation wear. I have not looked up the grade, yet.

According to James F Ruddy 'New Photograde' 1972 edition it can only be good with date partially worn away. I have an acid date coin that might be overdate but it's so worn that no other die diagnostics could prove it.

1 hour ago, numisport said:

If it were just a 18-D then it's just good. Since it's a 18-D 8/7 now its a higher grade ?

Yeah, that's market grading for you. NGC and PCGS both do this. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. 

Key dates are graded more loosely than any other coins. They are graded on a scale. 

The stricter graders among us hate it. Those who don't know any better shell out thousands of dollars for numbers on a paper insert in a plastic slab. 

This coin is now owned by APMEX a coin and bullion company.  Wonder how long it will take em to sell this as a vf20??

It is no better than a vg10

On 3/22/2017 at 4:53 PM, coinman1794 said:

My first instinct is to go F12. However, despite some weak high point definition, and some localized rim softness, the central definition of the obverse is very close to VF. This leads me to believe the graders might see other signs, like extra luster and lack of high point dullness, which would indicate the weakness is due more to late die state than circulation wear. I have not looked up the grade, yet.

EXTRA LUSTRE ????  ---  VERY CLOSE TO VF ????   no way,  after further personal reflection and due consideration this coin is vg08 or vg10 stretching it on a good day.  No way would I give this a fine-12.  Don’t take this personal coinman1794.  I appreciate your

contribution to this thread.  Just restating my personal opinion.  for the life of me I cannot understand how 3 professional graders and a finalizer would give a coin like this a super-grade of vf20.  Is there any case that this could be a mechanical error on the grade

input that slipped out of the house just like the mis-attributed 1909vdb matte proof lincoln head cent?

The "extra luster" was one of a couple things I speculated the graders might be seeing, based on the idea that a coin looks very different in person than in photographs, and that somehow, as you said,  "3 professional graders and a finalizer would give a coin like this a super-grade of vf20."

Also, I did not say the coin is "very close to VF." I did, however, say that, "despite some weak high point definition, and some localized rim softness, the central definition of the obverse is very close to VF." Not exactly praise of the assigned grade....

8 hours ago, coinman1794 said:

The "extra luster" was one of a couple things I speculated the graders might be seeing, based on the idea that a coin looks very different in person than in photographs, and that somehow, as you said,  "3 professional graders and a finalizer would give a coin like this a super-grade of vf20."

Also, I did not say the coin is "very close to VF." I did, however, say that, "despite some weak high point definition, and some localized rim softness, the central definition of the obverse is very close to VF." Not exactly praise of the assigned grade....

Sorry coinman1794 I was bit too critical of you.  But this is a good example of how we have to all learn to grade ourselves, and not blindly expect the grading services to always do this correctly for us.  I still stand behind my grades of VG10 best case for this coin.

If it were in a very good 08 holder I don’t think a lot of collectors would say this deserved a higher grade.  I keep watching APMEX to see how long it will takes to get sold.  The next owner of this coin at the assigned grade is getting “rolled”.