• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1881 S Morgan, is it gradable?

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have a 1881-S Morgan Dollar that someone had graded it at MS66. It is a very appealing coin with the exception of one mark on the edge visible to the naked eye. It almost looks like the coin was damaged somehow. I would like to have the coin re-graded, but fear it either will not be gradable or it will be graded much below MS66. Any comments are welcome.

Regards-Jeff

1881 S Morgan Dollar1.jpg

Welcome! 

In order to properly grade the coin, we need to see clear images of both sides of the coin. Try retaking the obverse image straight on, so that the whole coin is in focus. 

I will tell you, however, that with the damage on the rim this coin will never grade 66. 

Okay, these pictures are much better! 

What I see now: the "rim damage" that you mention appears to actually be a lamination, a mint error. This is a minor error, but it occurs when the metal of the planchet is not properly mixed - basically, a piece of the coin is flaking off. It does not appear to be damage. Unfortunately, this error is fairly common and does not add value to your coin. 

The coin itself appears to have been polished. The grade is a high AU, based on wear I see in her hair and the eagle's breast. So, overall, I'd call it AU-details, polished. It is not worth submitting. Sorry to bring bad news, but if you have any other questions please ask! 

Thank you very much for taking the time to review this. I am not new to coin collecting but have no experience with grading and conditions of a particular coin. I have recently started researching the subject and joined NGC to help understand the process and technical aspects of grading. You mentioned it looks like the coin has been polished. What indicators could i look for when buying future coins that it had been polished? Is there a distinction between cleaning, and polishing?

Regards-Jeff