• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my latest buffalo nickel acquisitions from GSC

25 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The coins in those photos appear to be proofs. I imagine that was the gist of his post.

The 1915 is a lock, while the 1916 is a maybe, without seeing it in hand.

10 minutes ago, david3142 said:

Do they just have no idea what they are doing?  Why wouldn't they send in the nice coins (especially proofs) to be graded?

The odd thing is that in most cases, I think they do know what they're doing. If they looked at the coins closely enough to determine that they might be Proofs, I'm confident they would have submitted them (or at least offered them as uncertified Proofs). 

I'm curious to see what sort of surface problems are hidden in those pictures. I've seen many of these GSC fairy tales, and never has a single one turned out well. 

Here's hoping you got lucky, but given what I know of GSC I am going to reserve judgement until I hear more. 

8 hours ago, DWLange said:

The coins in those photos appear to be proofs. I imagine that was the gist of his post.

The 1915 is a lock, while the 1916 is a maybe, without seeing it in hand.

What diagnostics are you looking at to say the 1915 is a proof? I'll admit I know almost nothing about Buffernick proofs, so I am genuinely curious to learn. 

to physics-fan3.14 

“what diagnostics are you looking at to say the 1915 is a proof?:

1) surface quality,  sandy or matte-like or satin sometimes.

2) squared rims

3) raised line on reverse rim to the south west  of the bison’s head

4) completeness of strike (coin is “chiseled")

I'd say the 1915 has a good shot.  Was curious about the Buffalo MP's as I don't have much knowledge of them.  I did run across an interesting thread on the Coin Community forum about this particular coin.  The thread is 9 years old but diagnostics for this coin are discussed.  I did see one particular diagnostic that I think matches your coin by groganking:    "Another possible diagnostic is a minute die line between 7 and 9 o'clock on the reverse border."  

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39830

I believe the diagnostic die line between 7 and 9 o'clock on reverse refers to the rim?  If you look at your rim on the reverse at 7 and 9 o'clock, and compare it to the 1915 MP buffalo that sold in Heritage auction it looks very similar. 

https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-buffalo-nickels/1915-5c-pr67-pcgs/a/1225-3111.s 

I can't seem to find those coins in the sellers completed listings.......would the OP mind sharing links? Were these really coins from GSC?

I'd say that lightning doesn't usually strike the same place twice, but considering the 1909 wasn't a real proof :-)

How did this turn out for you t-arc?  I'm curious if the pictures were just juiced, or, if you have a MP.  Would be cool to see some pictures of coin if you have them now.  Thanks!

The 1915 is a Proof for sure.  1916 Buffs were usually well stuck for circulation, but the coin pictured looks TOO GOOD.

I think the 1916 is also a Proof.

The coins are at pcgs for grading right now and when i get the grades i will post them.  and then when slabs come back I will post pix of the slabs.

On 3/25/2017 at 0:26 AM, Ryan S. said:

I can't seem to find those coins in the sellers completed listings.......would the OP mind sharing links? Were these really coins from GSC?

I'd say that lightning doesn't usually strike the same place twice, but considering the 1909 wasn't a real proof :-)

I got the 1915 in June 2016 and the 1916 in July 2016 I believe.  Don’t ask me why I sat on them so long but I did.  But as I said above they are now at pcgs for grading.  That is why you cannot find them in the sellers completed listings.

For the most  part, GSC’s pictures are pretty darn good.   I do know that sometimes they will call a coin gem bu and it is in fact a monster slider,   -- an au58 or perhaps an au55 that is so nice otherwise that potential bidders will miss

the fact that it has rub on the flank or hip  area.   But these do not have any wear of friction.    And to answer your question,   yes these are GSC’s coins.   And of course we have to learn to grade the coins ourselves. 

grades were made available to me today by pcgs

1915 is matte proof-64, cert number is 84095224

1916 is matte proof-65, cert number is 84095226

These are not in the pcgs cert verification database yet.

should be coming back to me next week.

will take pictures of the slabs and include them here.

Only 1000 more stories like this and we can say karma finally caught up with GSC

This has got to be a hoax . Graded gem brilliant unc by what seller ? Any more of this matte proof foolery lets get it out now.

Congrats on the excellent score.

I especially love to read about someone finding good fortune.