• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for good opinions, and or options

12 posts in this topic

Perhaps some of their offerings are reasonably priced. However, based on a couple of items and the prices I saw listed there, I would steer clear.

Different sites might be better than others, based upon your collecting preferences.

Thank you MarkFeld, I appreciate your opinion.  I have been looking for good sites, and found this one, but I was not so sure, other than knowing they are not the official Government Mint. 

If you will let posters know what kind of coins you're seeking, you might receive some recommendations regarding sites to check out.

7 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

If you will let posters know what kind of coins you're seeking, you might receive some recommendations regarding sites to check out.

For now I'm just looking at Morgans.. Peace, and American Eagles.

58 minutes ago, JoeVeteran said:

For now I'm just looking at Morgans.. Peace, and American Eagles.

Grade/price range? Certified or uncertified? 

Just now, MarkFeld said:

Grade/price range? Certified or uncertified? And if you don't get suggestions here, you might to start a new thread, with a title that concisely explains what the thread is about.

I am definitely looking for something in a MS63 or better BU if possible in a good price range. I paid $69.00 for a 1921-S BU Morgan (Not Slabbed) from The Govmint.com. Not sure if it was a good deal or not. I would have to take a couple of photos today, and post them for opinions.  I have also purchased a 2017 MS69 Silver Eagle for $35.00 on Amazon, and about three uncertified Morgans from an auction site for an average of $45.00 each. 

Unfortunately I am very new at this, and am hoping to have a nice investment collection to leave behind for my daughter. The majority of coins I have so far are fished from coin rolls, and spare change. 

8 minutes ago, JoeVeteran said:

I am definitely looking for something in a MS63 or better BU if possible in a good price range. I paid $69.00 for a 1921-S BU Morgan (Not Slabbed) from The Govmint.com. Not sure if it was a good deal or not. I would have to take a couple of photos today, and post them for opinions.  I have also purchased a 2017 MS69 Silver Eagle for $35.00 on Amazon, and about three uncertified Morgans from an auction site for an average of $45.00 each. 

Unfortunately I am very new at this, and am hoping to have a nice investment collection to leave behind for my daughter. The majority of coins I have so far are fished from coin rolls, and spare change. 

Since you are "very new at this" I recommend that you don't buy uncertified coins, for which the quality/grade makes any appreciable difference in value. Because if you buy such coins, you will almost certainly get burned and badly. For example, on the website you mentioned, I saw some coins listed that appeared to be priced way too high. I would bet that the 1921-S dollar you bought is a bad deal.

And I wouldn't recommend buying coins as an investment, especially if you're unfamilair with the market. A very large percentage of those who buy for investment purposes, lose money. A lot of people think they can beat those odds. But the odds are what they are, for good reason. And as a novice buyer, the odds are stacked very strongly against you.

Thank you Mark, I really do appreciate your advice, and will follow through on it. You have given me some great information to follow, and follow I will.  No more un-certified coins for me.  I also believe the 1921-S was not a great deal when I think about it. 

What Mark is gently alluding to is that you need to do your research before you buy the coin. And also investing in coins is a poor choice for somebody with limited means or limited knowledge. The only coins that have reliably increased in value over long periods of time are the best of the best and that means high high value. But assuming you persevere.... What is a reasonable price for a 1921S Morgan? Answer: It depends on condition. And how you are buying it.

Condition = grade: Look here:  https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/ and specifically https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Morgan/Grades - you'll see the small differences between an MS62 and MS63 and MS64. At the higher grades, you'll see the numismatic premium (value over silver).

And you'll see what a circulated example at say Very Fine looks like. Those mostly trade based on their silver content. As silver goes up, prices go up. as silver goes down, prices go down.

There are dozens of price guides, but it pays to know what they each represent... Here is one: http://numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml, (or now at http://www.coinprices.org/)  but what is it? It declares itself as a retail fair market value. That means:

• retail - at a coin store (Bricks & Mortar or B&M as we call it)
  • Fair - usually means middle of the road, not a dog for the grade, but not a spectacular example either.

Back to our 21S... FMV(retail) at MS60 is $40, MS61 $49, MS62 $52 and then at MS64 $83, MS64 156 and MS65 $1,280!

If you owned the finest known, at MS67, it's a 25K coin. According to THIS price guide.

Another place to look is SOLD listings at eBay. For common stuff, this is the world's largest market and - baring a few outliers for special coins or stupid buyers - track each other pretty well.

Finally, each of the top two slabbing services publish a price guide, for coins in THEIR plastic. Take those as relative pricing, the actual numbers sometimes are a little optimistic. They think highly of their service (as do many of us). So as not to pick on our hosts, let's look at "the other guys": http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/7300

MS60 45, MS61 48, MS62 54, MS63 78, MS64 $135, MS65 975, MS66 $3,800.

There are two 'dealer' price guides you'll hear about, bluesheet and greysheet. They used to be very differently used, so ignore old 'conventional' wisdom about buying "back of greysheet".

The bluesheet is the price guide for sight UNSEEN coins. That is dealer calls up another and says "You got any 21S Morgans in MS63?". He's never seen the coin that is being offered, so he has to go on the grading service's grade. It could be a nice 63 or a dog. It could almost be a 64 or it was a good day and it didn't get knocked down to a 62. Sight unseen.

The greysheet is the price guide for sight SEEN coins. That is the dealers have both looked at the coin and pretty much agree with the grading service.

The difference between blue and grey is the wholesale margin. What you would expect to pay in a non-retail environment (say a coin show) is a little more than greysheet.

Thank you bstrauss3, 

Detailed comments like yours and Mark is exactly what makes a bigginer like myself learn, and become better at knowing where and how to look for worthy coins from the right dealer or seller. 

I really do appreciate your input.

On 3/8/2017 at 9:21 AM, asdfgh said:

you have a filed die. most likely grease. I like finding them but not that rare. also has no value over face on circulated coins.

Thank you for the info. As a bigginer, I really do appreciate it.