• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883 Morgan

7 posts in this topic

Hard to tell from just the pictures alone, but probably a low MS, either 60 or 61. The eagle's breast is either worn or weakly struck, and those scratches? to the left of the face are very detracting for being in the field. However, the nice toning and luster still makes it an attractive piece. By no means an expert, but that is my opinion. 

Yes, this is a very common date (which means it would have to be a very high grade in order to make it worth submitting). 

I would grade this coin 63 or 64. The strike isn't great, but it is decent. The luster appears strong, and the eye appeal is good. There are some scratches in the obverse field, and the reverse field near the eagle. These will bring the grade down, of course - but the cheek looks fairly smooth from these pictures. I don't think there's enough marks to bring this down to 61 - a Morgan in 63 can still look pretty beat up. 

Surfaces look pretty smooth to me, my first impression was 63 with the photos.  If the luster is as good as it looks in the picture and with closer perspective of the surfaces, and nothing else shows up I think it may have a chance for a 63+ or possibly 64 

I agree with Physics-fan. The coin almost has the look of an MS-64, the marks in the left obverse field leave me hesitant to say that. I'll say MS-63 with a "B+" rating for that grade.

The coin is mint state and cheeks are smooth enough to be a MS 64.

But those scratches in the left facing obverse field may limit it to MS 63.