• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Change posts per page

2 posts in this topic

The old board software allowed me to change the number of posts which appeared per page. I think it used to be 10 by default, which drove me crazy. It now appears to be 20.... but given how slowly the pages load here it is still driving me crazy in a multi-page thread (granted, the coin boards are so dead that this isn't a problem often....)

Is there any way to change the number of posts which appear per page? 

Even better, is there any way to make all posts in a thread appear on one page? (the old boards had an "all" button which I liked). 

• Administrator
On 3/12/2017 at 2:10 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

The old board software allowed me to change the number of posts which appeared per page. I think it used to be 10 by default, which drove me crazy. It now appears to be 20.... but given how slowly the pages load here it is still driving me crazy in a multi-page thread (granted, the coin boards are so dead that this isn't a problem often....)

Is there any way to change the number of posts which appear per page? 

Even better, is there any way to make all posts in a thread appear on one page? (the old boards had an "all" button which I liked). 

Those are two things that aren't really adjustable in the new boards. We can set one default number per page, and that's it. The all button is also gone and is unlikely to come back. I think that the software developers of this product don't support it because if you hit "all" on a very lengthy thread is causes performance problems and bogs down the whole database.

That said, there are some features here on these boards that make if very convenient to easily view new content - specifically in the "Activity" drop down. There you can use the existing activity feeds, or you can create a new activity feed to your specifications that easily shows you new content in a variety of ways. You can use the "Condensed" choice in the upper right to see more posts per page.  These things help to find threads faster, although I understand they do not explicitly address your "more posts per page" issue.

I am very interested in your issues with slow loading, however. These new boards now feature separate server instance for each board, which means that the coin boards don't share traffic with the comics boards and should improve performance. We have something called a CDN turned on that offloads static resources onto a network of distributed servers that are geographically closer to each user. Also, the code is generally cleaner and more modern. The combined effects of these things should be faster performance for everyone - and by and large that's been my personal experience.

Can you give me more feedback about what you are experiencing? Are you still in the U.S.?