Inevitable?

66 posts in this topic

9,063 posts
1 hour ago, TonerGuy said:

And that why I always add .01 to any bid just in case that happens! lol I would have hated losing that coin over .01

So the moral of the story is that if I ever bid on a rainbow toned Peace Dollar, always bid at least $0.02 over my integer bid in a last ditch effort to win.  (I'm merely joking with you - don't take it offensively).

2,631 posts
4 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

So the moral of the story is that if I ever bid on a rainbow toned Peace Dollar, always bid at least $0.02 over my integer bid in a last ditch effort to win.  (I'm merely joking with you - don't take it offensively).

No offense taken. I hardly bid on them anymore. Ive been priced out. Its hard to buy B and C coins for A+ money when you bought A+ coins for B and C money... lol I just cannot imagine paying some of these prices for the coins being offered. Granted the 23-D, if I had that kinda of disposable income I would have stepped up but thats in the too deep end of the pool for me....

9,063 posts
On 3/13/2017 at 1:40 AM, TonerGuy said:

Im not a WLH guy but I dont see how this coin goes 67 or 67+ in a PCGS slab. Maybe a 66+ but I still say the $$$ between 66 and 67 is too great when the coin isnt all there.

I found this in the Heritage archives.  I like this NGC 65 better than this PCGS 67/67+.  There still is the hit on the sun though...

https://coins.ha.com/itm/walking-liberty-half-dollars/half-dollars/1940-s-50c-ms67-pcgs-cac/a/1221-4019.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

https://coins.ha.com/itm/walking-liberty-half-dollars/half-dollars/1940-s-50c-ms67-pcgs-cac/a/1216-4149.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by coinman_23885

2,631 posts
18 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

Same coin, PCGS just gave it a color bump to a + and CAC'd at 67 and 67+... lol and that added $6k in value...

Edit: My misread... I thought you were linking to another MS65, not the one in the OP. And yes I like the OP 65 better as well.

Edited by TonerGuy

4,844 posts
10 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

That 67/67+ is the one that I was thinking of when I quoted $25K!  It got upgraded, so no wonder I was confused.  Sold for over $20K, as a 67, anyway.  If 67s are selling for only $9K, now, they must have really come down in value.  Looks like this original sale is from about 2 years ago.  I think that you can still get much more than $9K on a 67 for the right coin. 

PCGS and NGC retails 67s at 12000 and 17250, respectively. 

I like the NGC coin better, too.  The fields are smoother and it has better color.  Just the marks on the sun and eagle's feathers detract.   A 67 should not have field abrasions. 

Edited by Walkerfan

4,863 posts

It could be a 66 on a good day, and the color is in the top 1/2 percent of toners for the series, so the price is not surprising to me. I'd rather attempt a regrade to 66* than send to PCGS, though there's a better chance of upgrading there, in my opinion.