• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Types

6 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2017 at 11:20 PM, Coin Hound65651 said:

Are those of us who can only afford to collect NGC graded coins such as ATB Quarters and Other types considered to be inferior to those who can bbuy Gold Coins and Silver dollars or other ae coins?

Not at all. At one time I could only afford to collect from pocket change. I built a really nice Lincoln set. I'm still proud of it. Don't ever worry about what others think about what you collect. Collect what you enjoy and have fun with it.

Not at all. As I got older and was able to increase my spending, I moved up to some 100.00 coins. I still have all the lower cost ones. However try to

buy at or near the top of the grade for a particular coin. For instance if you can buy a ms64 quarter for 10.00 but an ms66 is only 27.00, it is better to buy the better grade.

However be sure to check out several sources to determine what a coin should cost for a particular grade. I find that prices are all over the place and a lot of the time

on ebay you can "make an offer".  You would be amazed at how much someone will come down from an inflated price.

Collect what you can afford. 

What I appreciate are knowledge, passion, enthusiasm, and dedication. If your budget is $5 coins and you are passionate and educated about them, then I am excited to learn and share with you. If you buy $100k coins and post them as trophies and expect us to bow down because you are rich, then you don't really contribute much to this community. (However, the lucky few who can both afford $100k coins and are passionate about numismatics are highly welcomed... there's just not many of those sorts of people). 

In short, I am excited for anyone who is truly interested in the coins. Sure, there's money involved. But that's not really what's important here. Welcome to our club, and I hope that you will share and teach us about your coins. 

Type collecting might be the most interesting and informative approach. Instead of rows of largely identical coins, a type set can show the structure and evolution of US coinage. It can be as complete or limited as you wish, with little loss of either interest or information. That is, a type collection only gets better as you add to it.

Plus there are a hundred ways to collect type coins.

How about coins that were in circulation in the year of your birth?

If you are a young kid, it's 50 state quarters. If you are an old **** it's silver quarters. Both of you would have found Jefferson nickels back to the 40s and Lincoln wheat cents into the 20s and 30s. Ben's vs. Kennedy's. Morgan and Peace $s in Vegas vs. Ikes or SBAs.

Pick something that interests you and you can afford and BLEEP the naysayers!

etc.