• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2001 P Matte Proof Nickel

10 posts in this topic

I am new to coin searching/collecting due to inheriting coins from my parents estate.  I am sorry right away for a silly noob question but I have found a 2001 P nickel with a matte like appearance to it.  I tried to look up 2001 matte finish sets or nickel hoping to learn more about it but can't find anything.  What am I missing.? Compared to other 2001 nickels this coin shows Jefferson's hair awesome.  I also found a 1919 penny which was struck wrong.  The front has a backwards "U" and "N" stamped to the left of Lincoln.  I assume this is part of "Unum"  and on the backside it is all jacked up.  Thanks for your input and time.  

Pictures are worth a 1000 words.  It's next to impossible for us to help you from text descriptions alone.  Try to take some photos and post them here.

The Lincoln Cent is PMD (post-mint-damage).  It's worth 1 cent...no premium "collector" value.

The Jefferson Nickel is a standard circulation intended nickel.  Not a matte proof or anything else.  2001 is known as a very good year for high quality mint products in terms of strike.  It's worth 5 cents...again no premium "collector" value.

Thanks!  I have hundreds of wheat pennies and hundreds of readable dates buffalo nickels.  Couple of morgan dollars, 1940's nickels, rolls and rolls of quarters and dimes, some indian head pennies, indian head $2.50 coins.  I have some coins I don't know what they are, they look like old nickels (before Jefferson), old silver certificate bills of all denominations.  I took the whole lot to a coin dealer and he estimated it at $1,200 worth of stuff.  I separated all pennies and nickels out by date and put in individual bags.  He didn't look at individual coins just looked at bags and estimated in his head the price. Interestingly, through here and YouTube and I am slowly learning.  The newest thing I learned from internet what to looks for "steps" on nickels?  I have one nickel where all steps on the side and front of Monticello are clearly visible without a magnifying glass.  I have found a couple of I think, double die nickels.  The word Monticello is very strange looking.  Anyway, I thank you for your help and I had to put this post in a old post because I am unable to find the post button.  What gives?

The "UN" on the obverse is from another coin being struck on top of you coin and is the "UN" in "United"

Since it is inward and not raised it had to come from another coin not the die.

The reverse has a arc from another coin being struck onto it. hard to say but probably some coins stacked on a railroad track.

probably not done at the mint, but not impossible for a coin to get hung up and struck by other coins.

Thomas Jefferson just came from the hair dresser.

Yeah, the 1919 cent was squished by another cent imparting it's detail onto your coin, don't know how but it is called PMD (Post Mint Damage)

What else you got?

6 hours ago, FlytheW said:

Thanks!  I have hundreds of wheat pennies and hundreds of readable dates buffalo nickels.  Couple of morgan dollars, 1940's nickels, rolls and rolls of quarters and dimes, some indian head pennies, indian head $2.50 coins.  I have some coins I don't know what they are, they look like old nickels (before Jefferson), old silver certificate bills of all denominations.  I took the whole lot to a coin dealer and he estimated it at $1,200 worth of stuff.  I separated all pennies and nickels out by date and put in individual bags.  He didn't look at individual coins just looked at bags and estimated in his head the price. Interestingly, through here and YouTube and I am slowly learning.  The newest thing I learned from internet what to looks for "steps" on nickels?  I have one nickel where all steps on the side and front of Monticello are clearly visible without a magnifying glass.  I have found a couple of I think, double die nickels.  The word Monticello is very strange looking.  Anyway, I thank you for your help and I had to put this post in a old post because I am unable to find the post button.  What gives?

If you take a pic of each individual coin and post 1 per post, all the wheat pennies and hundreds of buffalos, brg will analyse each one for you.

If you take a pic of each individual coin and post 1 per post, all the wheat pennies and hundreds of buffalos, brg will analyse each one for you.

15 minutes ago, mumu said:

Lol!!!:roflmao: