• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The widow Mite

6 posts in this topic

Simple, trying to learn, I was gifted the widow mite that was certificated here, it is nowin safe, but how can I find more infomration I also have COA,

I want to know what it is worth and the true grade it lookslike it has been certified  a  good time ago and appears in good shape to me... but I know coinsare different that baseball cards.

The coin 

NGC Cert: 2061832-004

can anyone enlighten me on it s value?  Thanks  I mean it means more to me from sunday school memories. but want to know about  the value or were there so many of them  are are still just a penny in our world today.

Thanks.

The Widows Mite was a bronze Prutah or Lepton, a small low value coin.  Most of the ones seen were made between about 108 BC and 30 AD.  They come with several different designs and are pretty common.  Value is basically based on condition and  striking quality.  A poor quaility piece can be had for $13 or less,  a nice one for up tot he $30 to $40 range.  (There may be some very nice ones that go even higher.)  If it is in an NGC slab then it wasn't certified that long ago, NGC has only been certifying ancients for five years or so I believe.  One thing to remember about NGC Ancients, they don't grade them, and they don't guarantee the authenticity of them.

As Conder101 said, it is a low value coin (at least monetarily) and as such keeping it in a safe is not typically necessary (in fact it might harm it with moisture over time if not ventilated) .... instead, I suggest you keep handy to share it with people along with the Biblical story or use it as a personal spiritual talisman. Enjoy.

I would check with Heritage Auctions, and try to compare with items sold and their provenance, descriptions and prices. I have seen Prutahs that have sold for $450.00 to $850.00. It depends on many different factors and not just intrinsic metal value. However if you are looking for a "Widows Mite" of Biblical fame, many historians believe that was a Lepton (the smallest denomination),  or 1/2 of a Prutah. There is also a Roman coin candidate, of equal value to a Lepton, and also a Greek coin, but i forget the denominations. 

Widows' mite or might not...?

In Judea a widow was an outcast unless taken in by her children. A woman begging on the street was worthy only of scorn and any money donation to her was in the lowest, basest kind of coin - hence the lepton or something of similar character.  Widows and others not able or not permitted to support themselves, contracted diseases and opportunistic infections before dying within a few weeks of being cast out. Leprosy was the most commonly described infection although wet gangrene was well known, also.