• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1836 Capped Bust Half Dollar Lettered Edge GTG

14 posts in this topic

Yeah.... no way is that 62!

This is apparently one of those market graded sliders. It's an AU-62: I'm sure it is a very attractive coin in hand, and the luster and color are worth a premium. Compared to an average AU piece, it will garner a premium. But it is an AU piece. 

PA - the 1829 appears attractive, but it is actually a different subtype. The bust and eagle were subtly changed several times throughout the series, and so it is best to compare similar subtypes when grading. 

Compare your 1829 to my 1835 (graded AU-53*) and the differences should be obvious (the 1835 and 36 are of the same subtype). You'll also notice that the OP's coin has more luster and detail, and should thus grade higher than 53 (realistically, my coin is a 50 which has gotten a color bump):

JPA1012%20obverse_zpsw1dydmhw.jpg

JPA1012%20reverse_zpsr3tjn5yq.jpg

Full disclosure I don't own that coin....I was rather surprised of the grade so I posted knowing someone would know something about the coin.  I can really see the difference in the two portraits.....the 35 & 36 much more prominent chin and mouth profile.  The older one very flat profile.

Well, now I see the grade! The 62 explains the handling lines. The coin does not have much rub at all, and the luster must be quite bold to make MS. They must have deemed any rub to be cabinet friction rather than circulation wear.

I would steer clear of this coin regardless, due to the weak strike.

Oh yes,  I'm staying clear......I really can't get my self to pay MS price for a coin the looks barely AU to me...It feels too much like buying the label and not the coin ...However I would pay AU price for a coin that looked MS too me....(thumbsu

It's not the easiest coin to grade because of the weak strike on both sides, but I see a definite rub on the obverse in the right field and on the face. You might grade it AU-55 or 58, but there is no way that coin is an MS-62.