• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What other hobbies attract coin collectors?

35 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2017 at 0:04 PM, orifdoc said:

Hobby people tend to be hobby people.

Here's one of mine:

aug07.jpg~originalColors.jpg~original

That fish tank looks like an amazing place for those fish to live. Those plants look so comfortable.  It's like a lush rain forest.

On 3/10/2017 at 0:59 PM, SkyMan said:

As many of you know, I collect space memorabilia, particularly pieces from the 1957 - 1975 time frame (launch of Sputnik to end of Apollo era).  My original collecting goal was to collect at least one flown item from every Mercury, Gemini and Apollo (MGA) mission.  There were 27 missions in total, 6, 10 and 11 respectively, with another 4 post Apollo flights using Apollo equipment; Skylabs 1 - 3, and Apollo-Soyuz.  Along the way, I've branched out into trying to collect at least one signature from all the astronauts on the assorted MGA flights, as well as the very earliest Soviet space missions (Vostok).  I've also picked up a certain amount of Skylab material, as well as Space Shuttle material.  One of the neatest aspects of the whole process is that I've met and had the chance to talk with 12 of the 24 men who went to the Moon including 6 of the 12 who walked on the Moon.  The centerpiece of my collection is the Flight Plan for Apollo 12, in essence the log for the second manned Moon landing.  

1_CoverL.jpg

You should start your own museum; very nice!

Interesting posts.

I dredge for gold, target shoot, and dabble in autographs of interest.  Most recently this has been astronaut autographs and Titanic survivor autographs.   

I used to collect Mickey Mantle baseball cards (all PSA graded) and after I had each key card from the 60's I sold them to buy two Saint's.  I realized I preferred gold over paper. 

010.JPG

011.JPG

Titanic_Reduced.jpg

Good thread; other hobbies?  I've played tournament chess, expert to master level.  Amateur astronomy, I've been member of local clubs.  Boyscouts later led to appalachian trail and other hiking.  I've worked seasonally on both commercial and organic farms, good work if you can hack it.   Tax, legal and political theory and practice discussed on various sites.

Most disciplines are transmissible depending on your interest level and your way of thinking through your studies.