• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is more fun as a coin collector....

16 posts in this topic

Filling a long-empty hole in an album, or filling the same gap in a box of slabs?

Trick question, yes? I miss the pleasure of placing coins in an album or Capital holder, where I can see my coins together as a set. I actually lay all my slabs out on the floor or on a table so I can view each set in toto. Too lazy or cheap to photo and create a virtual album, probably wouldn't cut it anyway. Used to crack my coins out, but too much money at stake, concern about the heirs and liquidity. There is a place perhaps for a 3rd partly to create a super slab consisting of sets, with photos of coins, certifying the grades. Still a big liquidity problem and likely cost-prohibitive. Alas.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I like just collecting the boards, folders and albums. I have thousands of them that are empty and will remain so. They look great on the bookshelves. hm

Back in the old days I did both (sort of).

The Lincoln cents, liberty nickels, buffalo nickels, Washington Quarters, Morgan and Peace dollars etc. all filled holes in an album.

Other series or themes I collected that had no albums available, Liberty or Coronet half eagles, gold coins of the world, non gold coins from each country in Krause, all went into flips or Mylar lined 2 x 2s and filled a gap in the blue boxes that COWENS would sell the Mylar coin holders in.

Both were fun as far as I was concerned.

Today all the better stuff is in slabs and inventoried for the future benefit of my heirs, none of which have shown much interest so far in collecting coins.

So.... today I get my fun out of filling a gap in a box of slabs.

Tom

On 3/6/2017 at 4:13 PM, RWB said:

Filling a long-empty hole in an album, or filling the same gap in a box of slabs?

I just like filling a hole in my set. If I've decided to collect a set in an album (like circulated wheaties), then I enjoy punching one into the album. If I've decided to collect a set in slabs (such as my prooflike set), then I enjoy sliding it into its gap in the box. To me, they are equivalent and both valid - and equally exciting. 

Albums are cool but are only suitable for lower grade coins. As we all know proofs especially are not preserved well in albums. I too like to arrange slabs for viewing sometimes in groups by type, another day by date, another by grade and yet another day by tone.

Do prices of common coins in plastic slabs deter you in any way?