• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with pricing of coin

19 posts in this topic

I have two coins that are high grade and there are no auctions that represent what these coins are. 

First coin is 1949D Roosevelt Dime - MS67+ STAR FT 2710250-006

Second coin is 1939 Mercury Dime FS-101 MS67 2710250-001

Both happen to be in NGC slabs.  I do not have a huge need to sell them, but I do not know how to begin to sell a coin that has no coins of similar grade.  The roosie in particular has 2 that exist and no auctions.  Insight, whether specific or general is appreciated.  I also know the difficulty having a star means for determining what someone is going to pay for.  Although this has to be one of the most beautiful coins i have in my modest collection. 

Thanks so much

Hi David, I am a brand new paying NGC member as of today - so you are probably ahead of me on this.  I see the NGC cert tool lists the value of the 'rosie' dime at $565.00 and the mercury at $75.00.  I do have many years experience with eBay and, most specifically with coin auctions the past 3 years.  I have seen the star designated coins go for very close or more than cert value b/c there are likely collectors looking to fill a hole & willing to pay the premium.  I collect mostly Franklin Half Dollars ('beines' / 'beiners' / 'beautie Bennie F's'!) and I know I could expect to sell any (non-star) general pop. date (MS or PF) at 60% of the cert value in a best case scenario.  Likewise I am usually able to pick any up on eBay auction for 50-70% less than cert. value fairly easily.    So those are the tools and parameters I would use if I were to consider selling a coin from my collection.  Hope this helps, cheers.

~ Brother Lance

Welcome Lance.  The roosevelt may well be priced at that value, but the Mercury Dime is a variety with a different level of interest than a standard MS67 1939 Merc.  The NGC price does not represent the variety just the common version of the dime and grade.  I appreciate your help.

With respect to the 67+ star coin - I would check for other dates of similar rarity and populations, to see what they have sold for. I would also consider what other dates of similar populations and rarity have sold for in the MS68 grade. Because, for example, I might ask myself "Would I rather have this exquisite 67+ for the same amount of money that an ordinary looking 68 would cost?" And sometimes the answer will be "yes".

9 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

With respect to the 67+ star coin - I would check for other dates of similar rarity and populations, to see what they have sold for. I would also consider what other dates of similar populations and rarity have sold for in the MS68 grade. Because, for example, I might ask myself "Would I rather have this exquisite 67+ for the same amount of money that an ordinary looking 68 would cost?" And sometimes the answer will be "yes".

so in the absence of specific mintmark/grade data you extrapolate other dates/mintmarks with the same sort of condition rarity?

Here's a 1939 MS67 FS-101 that sold at auction 4 years ago...the PCGS price guide lists this variety at $1,050 in your grade.  I'd expect $700-$800 is a reasonable valuation IMHO.

http://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/150647/1939-Mercury-Dime-Doubled-Die-Obverse-FS-101-PCGS-MS-67

Correction:  The PCGS price guide reference of $1,050 is for MS67FB FS-101; not for MS67 FS-101.  I agree with coinman1794 on his valuation of variety without FB designation.         

"so in the absence of specific mintmark/grade data you extrapolate other dates/mintmarks with the same sort of condition rarity?"

In the absence of other better alternatives, yes.

I'd be very curious about the star on your coin also. If it was awarded for attractive toning the coin might sell for multiples of it's book value in the proper auction setting. 

The 1949-D is a pop 2 in 67+*FT, with two finer in MS68*FT. It also has great color, especially for the date. I would retail it at $500.00-$700.00.

The 1939 is a rather minor Doubled Die, and it is not FT, both of which can hamper its overall marketability. NGC has graded 1 67 and 1 68, none in FT. PCGS has graded 4 in 67, none finer. But they also show 1 in 67FB. CoinFacts shows a value of $600 in MS67, with 1 auction record at $506. Sight unseen, I would probably ask $450-$550 for this coin, in NGC plastic.

All of this has been super helpful.  The star on the roosevelt is definitely due to beautiful toning.   The reason I am interested in selling these is because my coin budget is limited and getting these coins priced appropriately may allow me to sell them and get three roosevelt dimes that are normally too expensive for me.  Specifically I am looking for a 1953 67FT, 1957 67FT, 1958 67FT, 1963 67FT or the 1964's which are the most expensive of the series. 

Here's a toned 49-D NGC MS67 FT Star (no +) that is listed at $595.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-D-Roosevelt-Dime-Superb-Gem-BU-NGC-MS-67-Star-FT-Monster-Rainbow-Tone-/161962796970?hash=item25b5bc27aa:g:DhQAAOSwoydWq7Qq

Here's a toned 49-D NGC MS67+ FT (no star) listed at $329.00 and it didnt sell.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-D-Roosevelt-Dime-NGC-MS67-Plus-Grade-Monster-Rainbow-Tone-Colorful-Gem-Q5-/272563586896?nma=true&si=PW25wy6xNGm2TtzLFAGqRd0Br8M%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Neither one of those coins are selling... Do you want to sell you coin or list it on Ebay and let it ride for months until the right buyer comes along ?

My suggestion is send it to at GreatToning start it at .99 cents and let the auction take it to where it will. I doubt you will get $400 or more unless there's a bidding war. But you might get north of $300.

Im not sure how much of a "WOW" factor your coin has in comparison to the other toned examples. If the coin's eye appeal is much nicer than I would have to revise my estimates. Without seeing a toned coin, its almost impossible to price it.

I have no specific need for the sale to occur quickly.  Just that I am interested in the possibilities of it.  I have not found the roosevelts to replace it with anyhow.  I am torn if I want one of the most beautiful examples that exists for the date and mintmark for my personal collection or benefit from its value as a turn around sale and get two less interesting but nice pieces.  I love collecting coins because both answers are correct.

13 hours ago, Davids5104 said:

I have no specific need for the sale to occur quickly.  Just that I am interested in the possibilities of it.  I have not found the roosevelts to replace it with anyhow.  I am torn if I want one of the most beautiful examples that exists for the date and mintmark for my personal collection or benefit from its value as a turn around sale and get two less interesting but nice pieces.  I love collecting coins because both answers are correct.

As a collector of toned coins I can say that I never sell a coin that cannot easily be replaced. If it really is superior to any other toned Roosie on the market then keep it until you no longer find it enjoyable to own.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:52 AM, TonerGuy said:

As a collector of toned coins I can say that I never sell a coin that cannot easily be replaced. If it really is superior to any other toned Roosie on the market then keep it until you no longer find it enjoyable to own.

Good advice.(thumbsu

On 3/3/2017 at 6:56 PM, PocketArt said:

Here's a 1939 MS67 FS-101 that sold at auction 4 years ago...the PCGS price guide lists this variety at $1,050 in your grade.  I'd expect $700-$800 is a reasonable valuation IMHO.

http://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/150647/1939-Mercury-Dime-Doubled-Die-Obverse-FS-101-PCGS-MS-67

Correction:  The PCGS price guide reference of $1,050 is for MS67FB FS-101; not for MS67 FS-101.  I agree with coinman1794 on his valuation of variety without FB designation.         

I agree with this.  If you are selling, my advice is also to attempt a crossover of the DDO if it doesn't sell within a short period of time at the price levels discussed above.  Depending on how eye appealing the dime is, it may be worth crossing and foregoing the star designation to get it into PCGS plastic.  Sadly, when you purchase at the higher end of the grade spectrum, the differences between grades are small and one can do quite well if you know how to juggle plastic appropriately to maximize recovery.  For this reason, I have some NGC star designated coins on the way to PCGS now.   

On 3/5/2017 at 2:52 AM, TonerGuy said:

I don't question your dedication, but for many people, myself included, every luxury good has its price.  It might require moon money to pry from my hands, but there always is a price at which I will sell.

On 3/4/2017 at 10:50 AM, Davids5104 said:

All of this has been super helpful.  The star on the roosevelt is definitely due to beautiful toning.   The reason I am interested in selling these is because my coin budget is limited and getting these coins priced appropriately may allow me to sell them and get three roosevelt dimes that are normally too expensive for me.  Specifically I am looking for a 1953 67FT, 1957 67FT, 1958 67FT, 1963 67FT or the 1964's which are the most expensive of the series. 

Be careful about chasing coins to complete a set... Let the coins come to you.  If you rush to fill holes in an album, you will be stuck with expensive coins that might not satisfy you.  I am not tracking the Roosevelt market specifically, but many 20th-century (and even later 19th-century issues) are taking huge hits in the market.  You may very well find that those coins drop in price as grade inflation and new discoveries cause the census to swell.  As for your question, which I now understand better, I would not cannibalize superior coins to replace them with okay coins to fill an album.   Also, don't rush to finish your set.

8 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

I don't question your dedication, but for many people, myself included, every luxury good has its price.  It might require moon money to pry from my hands, but there always is a price at which I will sell.

I can appreciate that thought process. I guess Im just a little gun shy with selling. I ended up leaving money on the table, lots of it. So now Im very careful with selling. I do like your advice to play the plastic cross over game though to avoid such a situation.

There are toned Peace $ that I sold 13-15 yrs ago simply because they werent really up to my standards. Many I sold for $50-$100. I now see those same coins on Ebay for $200-$300. So now I try to think more towards future price as well. I have numerous coins that I couldnt afford to buy back if I ever did sell them so it would really have to be an exceptional offer for me to part with those coins.