• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

“United States Proof Coins 1936-1942” Available Now!

30 posts in this topic

The book, “United States Proof Coins 1936-1942” is now available. Thanks to the many collectors and coin dealers who generously provided comments, suggestions and images.

Here’s the basic table of contents:

Foreword by Q. David Bowers..................................................................................................... 11

Acknowledgements....................................................................................................................... 13

Origin of Modern Proof Coinage.................................................................................................. 15

Manufacturing Proof Coins........................................................................................................... 23

Summary of Proof Coins by Date................................................................................................. 55

Proof Coins by Denomination....................................................................................................... 93

Lincoln Cents................................................................................................................................ 95

Five Cents (Nickels).................................................................................................................... 131

Liberty (“Mercury”) Dimes......................................................................................................... 194

Washington Quarters................................................................................................................... 236

Walking Liberty Half Dollars...................................................................................................... 281

Bibliography................................................................................................................................ 330

The book is 330 pages, full color with hundreds of illustrations. It covers this series in detail down to the number of pieces struck from each die, when dies were pulled from service, delivery dates of coins and quantities sold and returned for destruction. A few brief excerpts have been posted here in the past.

Overall, there is surprisingly little duplication of content between the chapters. It has been amazing to go through the data and analysis, and then see results and explanations appear – almost magical.  Publication is about a year late due to the cost of color printing.

Each book comes with a CD-ROM containing the full text in searchable format. Experience with this approach for the book “From Mine to Mint” demonstrated that it is much more effective, convenient and accessible than a printed index. The digital file may also be transferred to the purchaser’s portable digital device for use away from home or office.

Cover 5a sm.jpg

Just completed this group of proofs, love this series. Am very excited to read about them. What a great hobby with people like you willing to invest your time doing research like this. Please post when the book is available or if early subscription is possible. 

Very nice Roger.

I always search for these coins when viewing lot descriptions.

" The cover, plaster cast, galvano?"

Photo of Weinman's final plaster model of the half dollar reverse, September 1916.

I take it this book will be distributed by Wizard supply as well?

What about autographed copies?

I've been waiting for this one. Can you hide a '36 proof penny inside a copy for some lucky buyer ?

Yeah he could probably do that, you donate the cent.

Wizard Coin Supply is the distributor.

For an autographed copy, just request it with your original order. I will sign some books as soon as they are received so requesting an autograph will not delay delivery. The CD will be shrink wrapped with the book.

PS: The cover illustration was uploaded by dragging to the attach icon. The new software did not down-sample the image.  Good!

Roger, I'm looking forward to purchasing a copy of your latest work.  I've much enjoyed your research in "From Mine to Mint."  A wonderful book! 

Thanks,

Rich

I don't have a delivery date. As is common with short-run books, it is being printed on a "space available" basis by the US printer. That means it could hit the presses Tuesday or 3 weeks from now.

Thanks for the award thought, but I rather expect a "Best Specialty Book" award. "Book of the Year" will likely go to the 1792 volume. (I've read a draft -- very impressive work.)

The volume by Len Augsberger, et al on 1792 silver coins. It should be out before the NLG May 1 cut-off date. If not, I will likely be "Book of the Year" for whichever year it is published.

The cover price is barcoded at $39.95, but Wizard and resellers will determine the actual selling price, which is often lower.  I will not have copies to sell. Autographed copies can be had merely by requesting that when you order. There's no extra charge. The book is in color and the CD is shrink wrapped with the book.

Should be a very interesting read! I hope this doesn't spur collector interest in a series of coins that have super low mintages, look absolutely gorgeous and are massively undervalued. Because you see....I don't own enough of them yet! :-)

10 hours ago, Ryan S. said:

Should be a very interesting read! I hope this doesn't spur collector interest in a series of coins that have super low mintages, look absolutely gorgeous and are massively undervalued. Because you see....I don't own enough of them yet! :-)

Certainly this book will spur interest in a series that is already weighted down with hazy, poorly toned and just plain dirty looking coins. I have patiently acquired clean fully brilliant deep mirrored pieces as I can find them but they are just hard to find. Some feel that these coins are already expensive. I like my proof 67 examples over shallow mirror or heavily hazed proof 68 coins any day of the week for one fourth the cost.

A new book, especially by a well known author, and especially if it is a well written and informative book, will almost certainly drive interest in the series. This series isn't something I've ever pursued, but even I've noticed a lot of lackluster proofs from this range. 

On 3/2/2017 at 4:12 AM, RWB said:

" The cover, plaster cast, galvano?"

Photo of Weinman's final plaster model of the half dollar reverse, September 1916.

Nice!

Finally found my way back into the NGC boards. 

The books& CDs have arrived! They look great!

Once I have aninitial shipping date, I'll put the information on the BST.

“United States Proof Coins 1936-1942” is now available.

See the "Money Marketplace" forum for ordering information.

Post subject matter questions here.