• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Large cents and half cents

8 posts in this topic

I recently acquired 30 or 40 large cents and half cents from the late 1790s and early 1800s. They are mostly well circulated and I expect they will grade G to VG with maybe one or two at F if I am lucky. I feel I should send them in for grading so they will be preserved for the future but knowing most of them are not even worth the price of grading I am a little reluctant to spend the money.  I am curious to hear the thoughts of others before I decide. Thanks.

Honestly, from what you have written I see no reason at all to send them in for certification.  There are quite a few of them, they are relatively low grade and you acknowledge that most are not worth the cost of certification.  Keep them raw and enjoy them.  Buy some sewn-cotton square holders for them and place them inside 2x2 Kraft-style paper envelopes.  You will enjoy being able to hold them in-hand, will not have invested the time and expense involved with certification and the coins will take up far less space.  Regardless, it would be terrific to see images.

Honestly, from what you have written I see no reason at all to send them in for certification.  There are quite a few of them, they are relatively low grade and you acknowledge that most are not worth the cost of certification.  Keep them raw and enjoy them.  Buy some sewn-cotton square holders for them and place them inside 2x2 Kraft-style paper envelopes.  You will enjoy being able to hold them in-hand, will not have invested the time and expense involved with certification and the coins will take up far less space.  Regardless, it would be terrific to see images.

Tom's advice is so good you can read it twice!

I agree, don't spend to have any graded unless you identify something very special that ought to be graded/certified for authenticity and preservation reasons.

Many collectors of early copper actually prefer them raw. When I filled my Dansco album I cracked-out plenty of large cents...just not the difficult, pricey ones.

FWIW, you should have no trouble selling them raw at a major coin show when that time comes.

Lance.

Hold one of those in your hand up close and you could have a cool coin dream while contemplating what that cent would be spent on in mid 19th century. Its harder to do when encased in plastic !

Buy some sewn-cotton square holders for them and place them inside 2x2 Kraft-style paper envelopes.

Cloth lined inserts can be nice, but not all of them are totally "coin friendly." I got a bunch of them years ago that encourage tarnish in a big way. That might be good for an old copper coin that has been cleaned. I've mever had a coin which which to conduct an experiment with that, but for silver and other metals, it's not so good.

Unless any of them are a key or semi-key, I would keep them raw as the cost isn't worth it.

I have about a dozen raw large cents, that I 'inherited', that are worth $20-$40 most likely.  I wouldn't slab them.  All are common.

I have a couple 1/2c coins that are raw, that I purchased 10+ years ago from a local EAC dealer.  I've kept them raw as well.  Value is roughly $60-$100.  Not worth sending in, imho.  Common.

Now, if they were all problem free, and you had an 1802/0 1/2c or 1793, 1794, 1795, 1797 1/2c, I would probably have them graded, even at low grade.  Problem free being the catch.