• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Age of NGC Holders

11 posts in this topic

I'll take a stab at it.

The holder, itself, is an indication of a range of years.  Someone, quite some time back (a few years (?)), had a post on these boards giving the appearance of the holders and their range of years when made.  Probably in a counterfeit holder discussion.

Then you could also do some sleuthing just based on info on the Internet.

Find some coin, somewhere on the Internet, that was slabbed by NGC and also shows its ID number on the slab. Identify the date of its appearance. (when someone posted it)

Then find other coins, IDs, dates mentioned, and so on, and so on.

Eventually, you'll have enough coins to make a graph (from an Excel spreadsheet).  There will be variances because your data is suspect.  But a trend line will exist and it can be expressed somehow as y = mx + b, at least for a short range of years.  X would be the ID number, and when the ID would be plugged in you'd get the approximate year.

This is based on the assumption that NGC ID numbers are issued in consecutive order.  I can't imagine any other way.

You could also ask members to reveal numbers of slabs, and the dates they are positive they were slabbed, but you're sort of heading into personal info.  There could be a "dark side" to doing that.

Or you could contact NGC and they may tell you.  I don't know their policy.

Good luck, and let us know what you learn.  I'd be curious.

14 minutes ago, ArtR said:

More than likely Conder101 who is a member of this board could answer most of the questions you have pertaining to slabs.

Yes Conder is the expert... here is a thread from 2008 that might explain some of what you're looking for... by Conder...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2248608

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:37 AM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

This is based on the assumption that NGC ID numbers are issued in consecutive order.  I can't imagine any other way.

Not that simple.

NGC prints paper forms with submission numbers (left side of the cert#) and they do it in blocks for types of forms (US, World, etc.). Other blocks are used for online pdf submissions, etc.

So at any given time there may be six or more blocks of numbers being used. And so 123456-xxx could be before or contemporaneous or after 567890-xxx

I still have a few old submission forms that if I used to submit coins would generate older looking serial numbers wouldn't they ? Also check this out: Try checking cert. numbers with one or two numbers different. (the -003 or -004 at the end) You will sometimes see similar coins in similar grades that were submitted on same ticket.

Using the slab type is the best way to approximate the date of slabbing. It isn't foolproof, and it will only give you a range, but it's the best we've got. 

Unfortunately, Conder hasn't updated his catalogue in quite a while, so even that method won't work for coins slabbed in the past 10 years.