• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TIPS for navigating the boards quickly

8 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hi all,

This is a little jump-start package of tips to help people navigate the boards quickly. This was originally posted by Architecht on the CGC Chat Boards, but I thought I'd share it here too.

NOTE - YOU MAY WANT TO TURN ON/OFF SIGNATURES (while logged in, click "Forums" -> "My Settings" -> "Signature Settings" in the main menu)

THEN:

1. GETTING TO UNREAD POSTS IN A THREAD
    You just click on the black dot / star to the left of the thread title to go directly to the new stuff. You will notice that there is a red line separating the new stuff from the stuff already read. (p.s. it's a star if you have posted in that thread yourself)

2. REPLYING TO A POST AND THEN GOING BACK TO READING
    You can hit the Quote link at the bottom of each message to reply. After you save your reply, you'll be at the end of the thread staring at your new message, but you might not have read all the remaining messages in the thread. Just click the swoopy arrow on the right side of the post you quoted and you'll jump directly back to where you left off.

3. GOING TO THE TOP OF A PAGE
    In the lower right hand corner of your screen you will see a red arrow inside of a circle. If you click that you'll be automatically sent to the top.

4. GOING DIRECTLY TO THE LIST OF FORUMS
    There are a few ways to do this. First, you can use the bread crumbs in the upper left / lower left of the page that show you where you're at, and just click on the level you'd like to visit. Second, you can go to the top of the page, click "categories" and move around that way.

5. GOING STRAIGHT TO A SINGLE FORUM
    On most pages directly to the right of the breadcrumbs you can find a link that says "Jump To". This allows you to pick a forum from the drop down, click away and hit Go and jump directly there.

6. VIEWING LOTS OF POSTS IN A SINGLE LIST
    In the menu at the top you will find "activity streams". This offers you various ways to view new content across mulitple forums in a single list. NOTE the expanded / condensed view in the upper right of these pages. ALSO NOTE: Under "My Activity Streams" is the ability to create your own stream, made up of just the forums you care about. It's really sweet.MAKE SURE you click on the gear icon next to choices like content types to get cool extra options, like narrowing by the forum.

7. JUMPING TO NOTIFICATIONS
    When you get a pop up alert, like about a private message or being quoted - you can click it and go straight there.

8. EMOTICONS
    Hover over emoticons where ever you see them for a reminder of the text code to quickly add them to a post :banana: without needing to click on the emoticons menu. ALSO, use the "categories" drop down in the emoticons menu to quickly find the one you are looking for.

9. FOLLOWING A CONVERSATION
    If you read a quote in a post and then the reply, but you don't understand the context, use the swoopy arrow on the quote to go to the post they replied to, and see what THAT post quoted. Keeping doing that until you're all caught up.

10. MAKING A POST SOMEWHERE WITHOUT HAVING TO JUMP THERE FIRST
    Use the Create menu at the top to quickly make a new piece of content WHEREVER you would like to make it, without having to navigate to that section first.

11. SEARCH
    Hover over the magnifying glass at the top on the right for a quick search box you can click in, without having to use the whole search form. Click it to get a more advanced search.

12. QUOTING PART OF A POST
    Highlight some text in a post if you only want to quote SOME of it, OR if you want to quote that post AND whatever they quoted then highlight ALL of it. Then hover over your selection and click the quote hover menu.

13. HOVERING
    Lots of things give you features by hovering. You can see the first and last post in a thread by hovering over it. You can ignore a user by hovering over them (no, not me!). Try hovering. You never know what coolness you will find.

14. EMBEDING YOUTUBE
    Just paste the link. The boards will embed it for you like magic.

15. READING THE NEXT UNREAD POST
    Underneath the reply box once you have reached the end of a thread, to the right is a link that will just move you to the next unread thread. To the LEFT is a link that takes you back to the topic list.

16. JUMPING TO DIFFERENT SPOTS ON A THREAD (credit: LazyBoy)
    StartingPoint.jpg.d065a75acb921182a46dfb424ef363db.jpg
    Clicking on the thread title takes you to the start of the thread.
    Clicking on the circle (or star) 1 takes you to the first unread post.
    Clicking on the page number 2 takes you to the start of the that page.
    Clicking on the time of the last post 3 takes you to the last post.
  17. RESPONDING PIECE BY PIECE TO A QUOTED POST
    Put your cursor into their text just after the part you want to respond to and hit enter twice. This will split up the quoted post so you can respond to various pieces.

I made this text an announcement so that it can be see across all the forums, but I'll post it here too so you guys can compl uh, ask questions about how to do other things. 

:baiting::jokealert:

18. Uploading an image
When you click on "Add a comment" on the bottom, you should be able to see the button to attach a file.

If you would like to take an image of the browser, like eBay for example, I would follow the steps at http://www.wikihow.com/Use-the-"Print-Screen"-Function-on-a-Keyboard first, save the image then attach the image to this post as described above.

uploading image.png

2 hours ago, karachi said:

i have old coin 1796/1871/1881/1900/1906 any 1 real buyer contact me not fack people contact me 00923152166901

First of all, let me welcome you the the NGC forum.

Now, a few things:

1. This kind of post is best placed in the Marketplace forum.

2. Pictures of the obverse side of the coin (the front) are necessary.

3. This forum is frequented by people who are knowledgeable in the are a of numismatics, and are quite good at discerning which coins are FAKES, and which are real. Just food for thought...

On 2/22/2017 at 6:41 PM, Scott =) said:

Hi all,

This is a little jump-start package of tips to help people navigate the new boards quickly.

FIRST - YOU MAY WANT TO TURN ON SIGNATURES (under the settings menu at the top left)

SECOND - YOU MAY WANT TO CHANGE YOUR THEME (under the "theme" drop down at the very bottom of pages and on the left)

THIRD - YOU MAY WANT TO CHANGE THE WIDTH OF THE SITE (by clicking the pencil icon at the top)

Customize those preferences as you like

THEN

1. GETTING TO UNREAD POSTS IN A THREAD
    You just click on the black dot / star to the left of the thread title to go directly to the new stuff. You will notice that there is a red line separating the new stuff from the stuff already read. (p.s. it's a star if you have posted in that thread yourself)

2. REPLYING TO A POST AND THEN GOING BACK TO READING
    You can hit the Quote link at the bottom of each message to reply. After you save your reply, you'll be at the end of the thread staring at your new message, but you might not have read all the remaining messages in the thread. Just click the swoopy arrow on the right side of the post you quoted and you'll jump directly back to where you left off.

3. GOING TO THE TOP OF A PAGE
    In the lower right hand corner of your screen you will see a red arrow inside of a circle. If you click that you'll be automatically sent to the top.

4. GOING DIRECTLY TO THE LIST OF FORUMS
    There are a few ways to do this. First, you can use the bread crumbs in the upper left / lower left of the page that show you where you're at, and just click on the level you'd like to visit. Second, you can go to the top of the page, click "categories" and move around that way.

5. GOING STRAIGHT TO A SINGLE FORUM
    On most pages directly to the right of the breadcrumbs you can find a link that says "Jump To". This allows you to pick a forum from the drop down, click away and hit Go and jump directly there.

6. VIEWING LOTS OF POSTS IN A SINGLE LIST
    In the menu at the top you will find "activity streams". This offers you various ways to view new content across mulitple forums in a single list. NOTE the expanded / condensed view in the upper right of these pages. ALSO NOTE: Under "My Activity Streams" is the ability to create your own stream, made up of just the forums you care about. It's really sweet.MAKE SURE you click on the gear icon next to choices like content types to get cool extra options, like narrowing by the forum.

7. JUMPING TO NOTIFICATIONS
    When you get a pop up alert, like about a private message or being quoted - you can click it and go straight there.

8. EMOTICONS
    Hover over emoticons where ever you see them for a reminder of the text code to quickly add them to a post :banana: without needing to click on the emoticons menu. ALSO, use the "categories" drop down in the emoticons menu to quickly find the one you are looking for.

9. FOLLOWING A CONVERSATION
    If you read a quote in a post and then the reply, but you don't understand the context, use the swoopy arrow on the quote to go to the post they replied to, and see what THAT post quoted. Keeping doing that until you're all caught up.

10. MAKING A POST SOMEWHERE WITHOUT HAVING TO JUMP THERE FIRST
    Use the Create menu at the top to quickly make a new piece of content WHEREVER you would like to make it, without having to navigate to that section first.

11. SEARCH
    Hover over the magnifying glass at the top on the right for a quick search box you can click in, without having to use the whole search form. Click it to get a more advanced search.

12. QUOTING PART OF A POST
    Highlight some text in a post if you only want to quote SOME of it, OR if you want to quote that post AND whatever they quoted then highlight ALL of it. Then hover over your selection and click the quote hover menu.

13. HOVERING
    Lots of things give you features by hovering. You can see the first and last post in a thread by hovering over it. You can ignore a user by hovering over them (no, not me!). Try hovering. You never know what coolness you will find.

14. EMBEDING YOUTUBE
    Just paste the link. The boards will embed it for you like magic.

15. READING THE NEXT UNREAD POST
    Underneath the reply box once you have reached the end of a thread, to the right is a link that will just move you to the next unread thread. To the LEFT is a link that takes you back to the topic list.

16. JUMPING TO DIFFERENT SPOTS ON A THREAD (credit: LazyBoy)
    StartingPoint.thumb.jpg.f34175c93be4a126e07030ea88cadf73.jpg
    Clicking on the thread title takes you to the start of the thread.
    Clicking on the circle (or star) 1 takes you to the first unread post.
    Clicking on the page number 2 takes you to the start of the that page.
    Clicking on the time of the last post 3 takes you to the last post.

17. RESPONDING PIECE BY PIECE TO A QUOTED POST
    Put your cursor into their text just after the part you want to respond to and hit enter twice. This will split up the quoted post so you can respond to various pieces.

I made this text an announcement so that it can be see across all the forums, but I'll post it here too so you guys can compl uh, ask questions about how to do other things. 

:baiting::jokealert:

Thanks. Now can you tell me what 'Reputation Points' are, please? I've looked all over and can't quite figure it out.