• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charmy's 2017 LONG BEACH EXPO Show Report w/lots of pics!

10 posts in this topic

Considering what happened to my FUN show report thread, even though it received quite a bit more viewings than usual, I am hoping this thread won't be quite as "controversial." Rest assured, however, I will continue posting these reports as usual in spite of those who may not have a "taste" for this style of show report.

Coming off a very successful FUN show, I had high hopes that this Long Beach show would be successful as well and was very much looking forward to the show. I especially enjoy seeing my regular customers, as well as my SoCal dealer friends who don't often travel to the out-of-state shows. (I also enjoy being able to sleep in my own bed at night!)

4ddjty16epv3.jpg

f8u8riv5ai2s.jpg

However, with the heavy rain and high winds predicted right at the same time as the show, I became a little concerned. Wednesday was set up day where I did the majority of my buying, and Thursday was so busy, that I hardly left my table that day. But then the rain and wind hit, so Friday was very light, as was Saturday. Overall, for me, the show averaged out as pretty good, especially buying, as you will see.

As usual, set up began Wednesday at noon. I usually arrive to get in line at the loading dock around 10:30am, but this time they were diverting the cars to a "holding" parking lot area and gave each of us numbers. They originally were going to let just 5 cars up the ramp every half hour because half the loading dock was occupied by Bonnie Raitt's tour buses since she had a concert scheduled at the convention center. That would mean most dealers wouldn't get to unload until later in the afternoon. On top of that, the city is getting ready for the Long Beach Grand Prix so there was lots of construction all around the convention center and especially on the street next to the loading dock.

eibvua39sppz.jpg

u5xb2zkd0olk.jpg

rmks9l4wafjt.jpg

7d9r7nkhcwzu.jpg

So I called Taryn, who organizes and runs the Long Beach show. She was unaware that the loading dock people were handling things in this convoluted manner, so she made some phone calls, and things started running a little more smoothly and the loading process sped up. Soon I was inside setting up my booth!

Several vest pocket dealers stopped by my table on Wednesday, and I was able to pick up some nice coins and fill in a lot of holes that were left in my inventory from the FUN show. I also had bought several coins from dealers just before the show who brought them to the show for me. I also had some customers bring several coins they were selling or trading to the show for me. So I had a successful show even before the show began!

b4ziwjsehh7f.jpg

This is one of my customers, Victor, who travels all the way from Australia to come to the Long Beach show (and to visit relatives). He was one of my customers who traded some Lincoln cents and bought several higher grade ones. Victor was also very kind to bring me this great bottle of Australian wine!

isucvoif77pf.jpg

y4n1a1l1n7yh.jpg

voecpdu3yq89.jpg

After set up, we went to our usual Cafe Piccolos for our usual wine tasting dinner. It has a wonderful cafe-style atmosphere, and even more wonderful tasting dishes.

i9o860sx2irk.jpg

5gg35otf7gre.jpg

This is my favorite dish on their menu - goatcheese chicken!

2jiupjlsjm1w.jpg

neuw68qnczru.jpg

I arrived at the show early on Thursday so I could a few photos around the bourse floor, and so I could get some of my new purchases processed and set out.

I ran into my favorite gal pal, Nina, who is now working at Kagin's (that's David McCarthy photobombing in the background)! They are knee deep in preparing for their big auction at the Orlando ANA, which looks to be an amazing sale!

5mlocf0u921x.jpg

The NGC Team is ready for business!

qieqmclgc9k3.jpg

The US Mint's display

qdcqoybryfcn.jpg

6mr4gri73pmq.jpg

f1q88gtcqqhm.jpg

kzq6xphjc11d.jpg

And the Bruce Morelan collection of rare early dollars, including the $10 million coin!

modxtt96jflb.jpg

usovgis319fv.jpg

j43277vy7ptv.jpg

zrw9f3vjpk8l.jpg

vwcpg0i56btu.jpg

cgmxekh7wgnx.jpg

81d7njkb1idd.jpg

Once the doors opened to the public, the show got crazy busy very quickly. I asked several dealers and they all agreed that Thursday was one of the best Long Beach show days in a long time. Perhaps knowing that Friday and Saturday were going to have such strong rain and winds, the collectors decided to make sure they attended on Thursday instead. I was so busy that I forgot to take photos of how many people were attending the show!

After the show on Thursday, we went to Naples Ribs, the usual Thursday night restaurant that many dealers attend. My hubby loves when I go to this rib place, because I bring home at least half my ribs for him, as well as the ribs my friends can't finish!

d5ebdr683150.jpg

qq9s4ptep4ka.jpg

ubfr124f9w0d.jpg

As I mentioned, there were terrible weather predictions for Friday so the bourse floor was pretty quiet throughout the day. I was able to finish processing all of my new purchases, including adding them to my website (without Toddy's photos). I had decent sales, but nothing like Thursday.

Here are photos of some of the folks I ran into. I'm sure you all know who this is - David Hall looks great, despite his recent health issues!

r2aapv2xj2n5.jpg

I always enjoy chatting with Ron Guth, who is a super wonderful human being and all around great guy!

d8lxhairimbj.jpg

One of the most friendly and hard working dealers I know - Walt Ankerman!

ue0ovfjzrdro.jpg

The best sports memorabilia dealer around, Randy Pollock of London Coin Galleries!

arjfxff2mwbm.jpg

The PCGS folks hard at work, as usual!

te3bn443a22k.jpg

This is a young man who is a regular customer of mine. He is a very smart, savvy coin buyer, not to mention very adorable!

zkhm44kzhqvj.jpg

While talking with my coin error buddy, Jim Cauley or Errors & More, I noticed several old framed photographs at his table. These were taken right after the San Francisco earthquake in 1906, including the old Mint building.

g21hgqzc705v.jpg

4270ag67y417.jpg

kkh0lm5nks07.jpg

This is Jim holding an artists rendition of what would become the Telegraph Hilltop Observatory (and that's another one of my favorite dealer friends, James, photobombing our picture)!

0meibiuee0u9.jpg

John Englehardt of Sierra Gold and Coin had this interesting old penny "slot" machine for sale.

y0ee1t2mxnx3.jpg

On Friday afternoon, the rain really stated coming down hard and the wind was blowing hard. I stepped outside the back doors to check it out and got soaked just taking this photograph!

my7j4np7nk3w.jpg

There were also a couple of bad rooms leaks inside the convention room. I heard there was a waterfall right over one of the dealer's back tables that they were able to stop. This one had a heavy steady leak above one of the large ceiling lights so they set out a trash can to capture the water.

uud1c700grpu.jpg

Since business was pretty slow Friday afternoon, we opened this bottle of Rombauer Zinfandel that I brought a little earlier than usual.

9uj813hgorww.jpg

On Friday night we headed over to the King's Fish House up on Pine Street behind the convention center. This is our more "formal" wine tasting dinner and we had some great wines! I have an app that rates wines and shows you where you can find them, and the average price of the wine. I am pleased to say that my Rombauer Fiddletown Zinfandel was rated the highest at 4.7 (out of 5), even though it wasn't the most expensive. I am a club member of Rombauer because I just love their wines, both their zinfandels and cabs. The 2000 Araujo cab rated 4.3 but was the most expensive wine at the table.

m6489qyt3d4y.jpg

z08qavcny6fg.jpg

The food at King's Fish House is pretty amazing too. My favorite dish on their menu is the macadamia nut crusted halibut. Here are some of the dishes we had.

n73bxnfbjzhm.jpg

6qr0mdsu86b0.jpg

ov8frx6igdof.jpg

Saturday was another slow day at the show. There were lots of kids but I didn't see a lot of business going on, especially at my table! It was still rainy outside and a little windy, but nothing like it was on Friday. I did get to chat with these two adorable YN's who showed my what they had acquired so far!

1y4enw2bcbvw.jpg

Also on Saturday, Taryn (who I mentioned earlier runs the Long Beach Show) ran into Jason Momoa who plays Khal Drogo on Game of Thrones (husband of the Queen of Dragons)! I would have loved to have met him but didn't know he was at the show. This is a picture Taryn had taken with Mr. Momoa.

thx1xggtsulh.jpg

Soon, it was once again time to pack up and head home. I always enjoy the Long Beach show and even when it is not a busy show, it seems to fly by. I am very grateful for my booth helper Rich - this should would not be the same without Rich!

dtr2f1iauf1a.jpg

We were fortunate that the rain had subsided so we could load without getting drenched. On my way out of the parking structure, we ran into several of the attendees from the Comic convention that was being held next door. They are a site to behold when they dress in their comic costumes!

qshnbbmdw8pa.jpg

Soon I was grateful to be home safe and sound and cozy in my jammies and slippers, hanging out with my sleepy little Penny! (My hubby, who is a lineman, was still at work and ended up working through the night due all to the storm damage.)

oqcbjc2oax0t.jpg

Next up in March: Orlando ANA, PNNA Tukwila/Seattle, then Baltimore!

Damn, Charmy, photos are huge and in living color.

Have to go back and read your FUN report, see what the controversy was.

I always enjoy your reports.  They make me want to go to a coin show, something I've never done.

Also like the wining and dining.

Charmy, just so you know, on my MacBook Pro, all of the photos are too large to fit in the screen.

I tried zoom out, and only the text gets smaller.

I suppose there is a workaround from my end, but I don't know it as yet.

Best,

Bob

Sorry, I just copy and pasted my entire report from the PCGS message boards.  I don't know how to make the photos smaller.  Regarding my FUN show report, PCGS banned the user that was creating all the controversy and then cut out all his comments so if you look at the report you won't really see what was going on.  It basically was just one guy who didn't like my show reports and wouldn't let it go and kept posting over and over. 

Thanks for your time, and effort in sharing this report Charmy!  Always a good informative read, and most enjoyable.  One of these days I'll make a show, and be sure to visit your booth. 

Rich 

17 hours ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Charmy, just so you know, on my MacBook Pro, all of the photos are too large to fit in the screen.

I tried zoom out, and only the text gets smaller.

I suppose there is a workaround from my end, but I don't know it as yet.

Best,

Bob

I'm on a MacBook Pro too, but using the Chrome browser renders everything fine.  Pretty much given up on Safari--too quirky on too many websites.  

Fun reading!  I like the kitteh photos at the end.