• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AE3; one of the usurpers or rebels?

4 posts in this topic

This is 17mm, 2.2g, looks like bronze. Weirdness: the reverse appears to depict Victory advancing L, but the legend begins with VIT. Could one of the usurpers have misspelled VICTORIA AVGG?

No idea who is depicted, but it's not one of the Augustae. None of those had goatees.

Any ID ideas?

I really do want an ID here, but this is also partly motivated by a desire to test the new image uploading. If it works as well as people say, for me at least the new forum is a net gain even if some aspects are unfamiliar.

radiate_rev.jpg

radiate_obv.jpg

Turns out it's what they call a 'barbarous radiate' of Tetricus I. Pretty sad when they don't even try to spell the legend right.

That can happen when the guy punching the letters into the die is illterate, and most of the people that will receive the coin are also illiterate.  It looks fine to them.

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

That can happen when the guy punching the letters into the die is illterate, and most of the people that will receive the coin are also illiterate.  It looks fine to them.

Exactly. We take generalized literacy for granted today, but in the environment where that coin was minted, might be safe to guess 10% of its users could read it. It's like those belly dance coins that somewhat imitate Ottoman coins, and look fine to a non-speaker, but when one tries to read the Arabic, finds that it is nonsense.