• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1970-D Quarter Struck on Dime Stock

10 posts in this topic

I always wanted to have one of these Quarters in my collection, and had the opportunity to purchase one a couple of weeks ago.  This 1970-D was found locally in my area by a cashier, and she was happy with the $50 I offered, and I'm happy with the coin.  Win-win!  Have any of you found these in circulation?

Here is an article from Coin World on the 1970- D:  http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2016/09/1970-d-quarter-dollar-struck-on-dime-stock.all.html

007.JPG.98962da903767ab7b9d8d3126eaa6c3b.JPG

014.JPG.3b330a79b95da89a8dd18f56bf2a70cd.JPG

Now you need one of the reciprocals....a clad dime struck on clad quarter stock! A large number of them were struck and released into circulation. They were discovered when they kept clogging pay phones in some area (can't remember where).

TD

Thanks Cap- I didn't know about the 1970-D dimes...they didn't get the fanfare in Red Book like the quarters, or, publicity in Coin World it seems.  Not sure why- I'd think they'd be a hot item too with mint error collectors.  I did a search of the '70-D dime struck on quarter stock on the bay, and came across one that has a scratch in AU-50, with rev of '68.  I'm sure the "extra" premium is because of the reverse?  I thought most '70'-D's had this reverse...so, not really a premium?  I'm in the market for one, and thanks for bringing to my attention.  I'd like to get one for a fair price, and not sure what market value on these are but will do some diligence!     

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-D-Roosevelt-Dime-ANACS-AU-50-Rev-of-68-Struck-on-25-Planchet-Cherrypick-/192106570967?hash=item2cba71a4d7:g:DwoAAOSwWxNYpY9v  

15 hours ago, PocketArt said:

Thanks Cap- I didn't know about the 1970-D dimes...they didn't get the fanfare in Red Book like the quarters, or, publicity in Coin World it seems.  Not sure why- I'd think they'd be a hot item too with mint error collectors.  I did a search of the '70-D dime struck on quarter stock on the bay, and came across one that has a scratch in AU-50, with rev of '68.  I'm sure the "extra" premium is because of the reverse?  I thought most '70'-D's had this reverse...so, not really a premium?  I'm in the market for one, and thanks for bringing to my attention.  I'd like to get one for a fair price, and not sure what market value on these are but will do some diligence!     

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-D-Roosevelt-Dime-ANACS-AU-50-Rev-of-68-Struck-on-25-Planchet-Cherrypick-/192106570967?hash=item2cba71a4d7:g:DwoAAOSwWxNYpY9v  

Considering how badly that seller misunderstands the nature of the error (quarter planchet stock, not a quarter planchet), I would be highly suspicious of his pricing as well.

I suspect that these are not as well known because the examples look like normal dimes, just a bit thicker and well struck because of that. The quarters get noticed because they typically have part of the lettering missing. The dimes may have just stayed in circulation for decades.

TD

Thanks gentlemen, I was a bit confused about the sellers description with mention that the dime has a reverse of 1968.  It is in fact a FS-901, and reverse was struck with a proof die but wasn't designated on the label.  Interesting too this was struck on quarter stock, and I'm curious if all these quarter stock dimes were FS-901 varieties.   This raises more questions for me...interesting! 

This still doesn't persuade me in any way to buy this coin.  I'd like to own one problem free, a bit higher in grade, and see more examples of this occurrence.

Thanks again,

Rich 

Thanks Jason, yes they are underweight, and this one weighs 4.23 grams.  It would be cool to own a quarter actually struck on a dime planchet...but my interest level for those errors hasn't piqued to justify paying the strong money those seem to bring- maybe someday.          

Back in 1970 they were just a nuisance.  They were remarkably common and it seemed like every bag had at least one of them.  Many were tossed in the trash and I tended to get rid of them at the bank or with cashiers.  It wasn't until a couple years later I started saving them and by then they weren't seen often.  The last I got I spotted in a plastic roll on the desk at a bank and specifically asked for that roll back about 1996. 

It's good to be back.