• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newest Nickel

13 posts in this topic

The saturation is cranked way up on that picture. It will not look like that in hand (when coinman says the images are "juiced", what he means is that the settings have been played with to make the coin look better than it really is).

I think the coin has been artificially toned. I strongly suspect that chemicals have been applied to induce that color, and that it is not natural. Sorry, but I am not a fan of this piece.

i asked the seller if he knew about the history of the coin (i.e. toning process). He said it was naturally toned in a cardboard album. along with 2 other pieces i purchased. he also is sending me a photocopy of dvds that explains how to detect toning that is artificial in case i am interested in that as well. I will post photos once i get in hand.

i appreciate everyones feedback. I like colorful jeffersons and my purchases have leaned heavily that way recently, but this is one I was curious about.

Like James, I own a number of nickels with similar toning, and they have been in Whitman folders for decades. It's a very good possibility they are indeed NT as the seller claims. However I also agree with other responses that its likely the images have been tweaked. Remember though, tweaking is often done more to compensate for the lack of skills on the photo taker's part than to 'puff' the piece being sold, but I realize this can make the coin appear better than it would look in hand. So long as the seller has a return policy, and you like the coin enough to purchase it, than it's up to you.

jeff%20I_zpsztwuueba.jpgjeff%20II_zps07ws0lv4.jpg

I took the liberty to unjuice them a bit, I think the tone is a natural album toning with some sort of MS (Mint State) designation for a grade. Massive hit on the steps so count that out.

jeff%20I_Fotor_zpsjyrgaphi.jpgjeff%20II_Fotor_zpsguwp6gu0.jpg

$15 for the nickel

$15 for the tone

Note: As noted, the carbon spots on the truncation of the bust detracts a bit from the eye appeal.

I obviously have received this coin by now.  I will upload the pics of it this afternoon.  It looks like the original sale pics.  It is a brighter purple than the unjuiced photos

The images in the ebay listing look significantly juiced (altered color saturation).  If you have images that are too large you might host them on another server or copy the image and save it with a higher compression setting.  The compression setting will reduce the file size, but if you go too high you degrade the image quality, too.