• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbee needs help/advise on a coin

10 posts in this topic

Good afternoon all. This is my first time joining and posting, so I hope to have place this question in the right place.

I recently found a circulated Roosevelt dime with what appears to have the letters "ST" printed in front of the forehead, and die crack on the reverse. So I am wondering if anyone has seen this before, and if it is something I should have slabbed? All advise will be welcomed. Thank you.

I am hoping the attached pictures will help.

167825.jpg.c5729662cfae93cbdb1569e0dbd00d70.jpg

167826.jpg.27c05cda84a0271a70a1d5fbd6e52085.jpg

167827.jpg.2151daa5216edea86c687f0d11b45f98.jpg

167829.jpg.37241c532fcd235b014c0975917c9e1b.jpg

Welcome to the forums!

What you have there is known as a "clash." This is incredibly common on dimes, and not worth slabbing.

It happens when the hammer and anvil dies come together without a planchet (coin) in between. Some of the reverse design is transferred to the obverse, and vice versa. The "die crack" you see on the reverse is not actually a die crack, but is actually the outline of FDR's bust. If you line up the outline of the bust and the lettering, you'll see that the lettering in front of his face is probably some part of PLURIBUS UNUM.

Thank you very much for your quick response. I do appreciate the info, especially being new to coin collecting.

I do have another one that I believe I have seen a few of, and folks referred to it as "die crack". Can you tell me what you think about the attached one?

Is it a die clash? It looks more like someone took two normal dimes, stacked them and hammered them, thus faking a "clashed die".

Good point James...but I was looking at Roosevelt's throat area and it appears to dive under the oak leaf. If hammered/squashed would the outline of the bust do that?

Good point James, however if it were where someone put two other coins together and smashed it, then would not the rest of the missing letters show over the forehead, and not stop at it?

Just asking, I can't really say what happen to this dime since one, I am a beginner in this coin fishing thing, and secondly, because I found this circulated dime in my coin jar.

The good thing is that the more folks comment on this dime, the more I learn.

Thank you for your input, every bit helps, and every theory can be very interesting to a beginner like myself. .

Welcome to the boards. The only dumb questions is the one you don't ask. :)

Cool coin. Error coins (this qualifies as a minor error IMO) are interesting and sometimes give significant insight to the minting process.