• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worth the Money? 1907 Saint MS64

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

Here to get some inputs.

1. Bid on ebay with ok quality photos. Won at $1,891

2. Got the coin in hand and was able to see up in close.

3.Tied my best to take pics - excuse me if its not professional

Is this really a MS 64? is it over graded? Should I return it?

Tried comparing some coins sold at HA and GC, not able to conclude. Need a some inputs please.

This is my first No Motto DE for my gold type set in lower MS grades (62 to 64). My other "Motto" Saint is MS 65 common date.

6c28733ea8.jpg

6c287f070c.jpg

6c28850b6c.jpg

6c288e80d2.jpg

ebay link

It is decent but not high end imho and the price reflects it. It has quite a few hits and the color is a bit dark. I would call it an average to below average 64. Sorry....jmho.

Here is my 1907 "low relief" $20 gold which is in an MS-65 holder.

1907SaintO_zps868bff7b.jpg1907SaintR_zpsf86a1431.jpg

To be frank, I'm not a fan of the coin you are considering because the high points look dull to me. It might be a matter of what the old time dealers called "envelope friction." I think that you might be able to find a piece with a bit more luster and life to it.

Of course I'm basing this observation on a photo, and a different photo might give the coin a different look. But that's my impression from the information available.

I think the reverse put it at the 64 level but I do feel the obverse is a 63. It may look much different in hand giving it a solid 64 but that is up to you.

With the bigger photos, my concern would be with the friction on Liberty and the spot on the reverse field. The challenge with looking at a gold coin from photos alone is that photos tend to amplify every small defect, even if they wouldn't make a bit of difference when holding the coin in hand. That said, I think if you're happy with the purchase, enjoy it, if not then return it and wait for one that you like.

From the pics I would say a just there 64. The price paid fits the coin in my opinion. You did fine

Mark

Thank you one and all.

Special Thanks to Bill! I admire his (or her?) amazing knowledge and collection!

Here is my 1907 "low relief" $20 gold which is in an MS-65 holder.

1907SaintO_zps868bff7b.jpg1907SaintR_zpsf86a1431.jpg

To be frank, I'm not a fan of the coin you are considering because the high points look dull to me. It might be a matter of what the old time dealers called "envelope friction." I think that you might be able to find a piece with a bit more luster and life to it.

Of course I'm basing this observation on a photo, and a different photo might give the coin a different look. But that's my impression from the information available.

The obverse could use a few less marks for 64. I looked at a lot of these when picking out mine, and the quality varies quite a bit. The luster on mine (also PCGS 64) isn't as flashy as yours, though.

07saint.jpg

07saint-obv-anim.gif