• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An interesting progression....

24 posts in this topic

I think Afterword just indicated the coin was his when it was removed from the IGC holder and then received the details grade. Those are tough and would have been worth another try.

Just proves that they don't always get them right ATS either.

PCGS probably saw the ICG slab and had to waive their big d*** around to s***on the little crappy tpg

and yes I realize the biological logic hole of that statement :)

I considered trying NGC, but I thought PCGS might know something I did not know concerning the toning and decided not to risk losing anymore money than I already lost. You cannot win every time.

The coin looks a little different in color. That could be because of the images or an acetone bath. In the future, I would rinse coins like this in a bath of acetone before resubmitting. If acetone was unsuccessful, I would use a very light in dip in diluted dip solution. I am so sorry for your loss.

I cracked it out and sent it in raw.

Don't underestimate the PCGS sniffer. It can pick up ICG slab molecules.

Quantity of errors in authentication squared is proportional to the velocity of examination.

E^2 ∝ vt

Questionable Color means just that...the toning is suspect but cannot be proven to be natural, so it gets rejected. It's the 'better safe than sorry' syndrome.

May not be right, but toned Peace dollars get extra scrutiny at the big top tier.

You know, come to think of it with the widgets I handle There have been a handful of re-submissions and in every case the grade came back different than the grade prior to the crack out.

Some were higher, some lower. All had a reason for the crack out. The point is, different day, different results are possible.

The possibility that the toning was anything other than natural never entered my mind. I took a pretty good lose on that coin.

Did you send to PCGS yourself, or did it go through greatcollections raw submission?

The possibility that the toning was anything other than natural never entered my mind. I took a pretty good lose on that coin.

Did you send to PCGS yourself, or did it go through greatcollections raw submission?

The latter.