• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG Toned 1946 Booker T. Washington Half Dollar

10 posts in this topic

Got this back from NGC recently, wanted to see what you guys think it may be grade wise and if you believe the toning to be NT or AT? Got the best images I could, but the toning and my lack of skill made it difficult. I look forward to all of your opinions.

167765.jpg.17da380c66d421fb47c5d59b7dfb9035.jpg

167766.jpg.2b131dc6e898b94dc88de2dea008939b.jpg

167767.jpg.03cae4601f8ef21924fb6b9ba1498f07.jpg

167768.jpg.b18b376eb60f8553c28f41c5c5254f03.jpg

There will be some knowledgeable people giving their thoughts on the coin. I like guessing to see how I compare.....I think the color is NT from the picture. The luster looks muted to me and it is difficult from the picture to clearly dismiss some areas as not being a rub due to the toning pattern. However I am going to assume they are not rubs so I will go MS63 with a good shot at 64.... (thumbs u

The coin under the toning, while difficult to see clearly appears to be about MS 64. The toning with the many spots screams old cleaning to me. The old cleaning will cause the spots you see. 

My guess is a purple label, Mint State cleaned. 

It's UNC Details, improperly cleaned.

I thought the toning looked natural, the reverse luster is a bit muted in hand, but the obverse colors are very attractive in person and the luster appears pretty strong.

I got this from GreatSouthernCoin, and with the bidding activity and the price I paid, I was really hoping for a straight grade, as all of my other raw coins from them have been MS63 or better.

Anyone think it's worth it to crack it out and submit it to PCGS?

My snarky comment is PCGS will slab anything with color for a straight grade.  However if NGC called it improperly cleaned so I think PCGS will also.........But what the heck, I would find it interesting if they would give it a straight grade......:devil::devil:.......Not going to lie; It would be too :roflmao:

On 3/6/2017 at 9:38 PM, SilverHunterKF said:

I got this from GreatSouthernCoin

No offense, but that's your first mistake. Don't buy raw coins from them. Ever. Every single one I've ever seen has had problems. 

I thought the toning looked natural, the reverse luster is a bit muted in hand, but the obverse colors are very attractive in person and the luster appears pretty strong.

I *highly* encourage you to look at a lot more certified problem-free coins. Nothing about this looks good to me. Again, I don't want to sound mean - but I also know its no fun to make mistakes like this. 

Anyone think it's worth it to crack it out and submit it to PCGS?

Sometimes PCGS will grade things that NGC won't. Sometimes NGC will grade things that PCGS won't. In this case, the coin is obviously cleaned and unnatural - I don't think PCGS would straight grade it either. On top of that, the coin isn't really worth the cost of submitting multiple times, especially if you already paid a strong price for it.