• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Translation of Old Grading to Krause Grading?

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

New person here...

The coins I have reflect the old system of grading....i.e. X's and Y's.

Could anyone tell me how these translate to Krause letters...i.e. KM's?

And also, IS there actually a way to search by the Country and the (old) catalog system? When I enter the details in NGC online, for example, Cyprus 1934 1/2 Piastre - UNC, using Y16 (the catalog on the coin), it brings up no values. Yet doing a new search it does bring up the coin indexed as KM#20.

It seems to me that I will just need to do a new search without the catalog numbers at all and assign the current initials and numbers?

Thank you in advance.

That's pretty much it. Over the years the different countries have been renumbered multiple times. I remember one time when Columbia was renumbered two years in a row.

It use to be everything was Y#'s back when Yeoman's Coins of the World was the only common book out there (And of course the Craig #'s for coins before 1850.) And Yeoman renumbered as well.. When Krause came out with the Standard Catalog it used the Y numbers but then slowly country by country renumbered them changing over to the new KM numbers. I think some of the Chinese coins are the only ones still using Y numbers (and even them countries that had KM numbers assigned would still occasionally be renumbered.) And as the Standard Catalog started going back to earlier centuries they would go back and renumber everything so thet the lowest numbers started with the earliest book. (So you wouldn't have higher numbers in the 17th century book than in the 18th century book.) Then to add additional problems, to make more room in the books there are many varieties with their own catalog numbers in the earlier books that were dropped from the later ones.

It causes real confusing when you are dealing with a collection that has been assembled over a long period. I have coins in my collection that have had ten or more different catalog numbers over the years. When my father passes and I become the sole custodian of the collection one of the first things that I'll have to do is recatalog the whole thing.