• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1889 P Morgan GTG

14 posts in this topic

The reverse is quite clean, probably a 65 reverse. However, there are enough scrapes and dings on the obverse to seriously bring the grade down. I'd put it at a 63 overall, maybe 64 on a good day. This is definitely not worth slabbing.

The guys above me are way better than I am but my first thought was I would be thankful if I got 63 on the coin. But the pictures are large so that will over exasperate the coins surfaces. Jason liked the reverse but the eagles chest looks real flat to me....I did not know the "Philly" mint had that weak of a strike of the eagles chest, that looks more like what a "O" mint strike, but I don't collect these, only like guessing the grade. Cheers (thumbs u

It looks like some high point friction to me on obverse--and that raises questions on where the grading services draw the line on AU vs. Unc.. Though it looks like a typical above average ms example, interesting toning.

Thanks for the comments guys, the obverse has quite a bit of friction which is sad but over all still lovely to have. Jersey, the seller was Justin Lee on eBay

Looks 63 to me. Care to mention the seller? Has a familiar "look" to it.

Justin Lee takes fantastic pictures. I know he's a member on CoinTalk, not sure if he is here.

He also signs his pictures, as seen above ;)

Looks 63 to me. Care to mention the seller? Has a familiar "look" to it.

Justin Lee takes fantastic pictures. I know he's a member on CoinTalk, not sure if he is here.

He also signs his pictures, as seen above ;)

Thanks.

The pictures are superb indeed.

I would say that it would get an MS-63 if it were to be submitted. There are quite a few little marks on the obverse that make the lovely reverse of little consequence in the overall grade.