• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unique Item Pertaining to the Oregon Trail Memorial Association

13 posts in this topic

Been quite a while since I've posted anything early commemorative related. Just wanted to post this item which no one has seen except some folks in the Historical Society.

My book is still a work in progress. Don't know when, or if, it will ever be finished. Some of these Society's, Libraries, Associations, etc., charge over $100 for an image of just one side of an item. I am not a rich man by any means. My book has items such as this spread all throughout it.

Here's the history:

ACCEPTS LIFE MEMBERSHIP CERTIFICATE

Remarks Near Meacham, Ore., July 3, 5:15 p. m., on Being Presented with Certificate No. 1 of Life Membership in the Old Oregon Trail Association.

Hasrding_Meacham_Speech.jpg

This stereograph by Keystone View Company shows President Warren G. Harding speaking to a large crowd in Meacham, Oregon, during his "Voyage of Understanding." The Voyage of Understanding was the name given to Harding's tour of the Western United States and Alaska. Harding was the first sitting president to visit Alaska. The caption reads: "President Harding Speaking at "Old Oregon Trail" Celebration. Meachem [sic], Oregon." There is text on the back of this card. See image number 1112052. Courtesy of the Library of Congress (LOC).

(President Harding speaking) Mr. Meacham and Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am somewhat embarrassed to speak again, because it seems to me I have already said enough; but I cannot be unmindful of this added expression of the courtesy, the thoughtfulness, and the cordiality with which you have greeted us. It is a pleasing reminder to me, not alone of this testimonial to the Pioneers and the work you have performed in preserving the lessons of early history, but it is a splendid reminder of the joy we have had in associating with you today. I cannot tell you what a pleasure it has been.

I do not think that we are different from others and I speak only the truth when I tell you we love contact with the people we are seeking to serve. It is the greatest pleasure in the world to know people. I find a greater comfort, a greater joy, a greater inspiration, nay, a greater consecration to the purpose of serving in an official way the more I come in contact with the people who make up this great country of ours.

Someone said today that this splendid Northwest territory, this inland empire, out of which has been carved the States of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana, is made up of the best people in the world. Of course I cannot say just that, for I am President of all the United States, but I will say there are no better people in the world. It is a very great pleasure to come into this most agreeable and intimate contact with you.

You have given us a sweet memory to cherish, and you have given us a new satisfaction in the assurance that you are doing your part to preserve the traditions, the lessons, and the inspirations which attended the making of this empire republic of ours. I know we shall all go on seeking to do our part in bringing about the fulfillment of the destiny which belongs to this great Nation. I thank you, sir. [Applause.] ”5

5 Speeches and Addresses of Warren G. Harding President of the United States; delivered During the Course of His Tour From Washington, D. C., to Alaska and Return to San Francisco, June 20 to August 2, 1923. Reported and compiled by James W. Murphy Official Reporter, U.S. Senate, p. 250-262.

Harding_Gold_Certificate.jpg

Certificate No. 1 of Life Membership in the Old Oregon Trail Association. Meacham, Ore., July 3, 5:15 p. m. Made of 14K gold, it bears the signature of the association’s president. The certificate is in black leather case with gold trimming. Along with the membership card is a paper business card with blue print reading "W.E. Meacham / President / Old Oregon Trail Association / Home Camp, Baker, Oregon" and a yellow card with blue and red print reading "1923 No. 4922 / This is to Certify that / Wallace E. Meacham / Residence Baker Org. / Is A Member Of The / Old Oregon Trail Association / For The Year 1923 / Ly Brown / Vice-President." Courtesy Ohio History Connection/Historical Society.

PS As I go to different coin related websites, I've seen my research/images, posted. I don't know how to feel, mad or glad. Takes a huge amount of time, and sometimes money, to do this research and to see it posted elsewhere for free, no labor/money involved kinda irks me. My resolution is: don't post it. Just wanted to post my two cents on this subject.

PS As I go to different coin related websites, I've seen my research/images, posted. I don't know how to feel, mad or glad. Takes a huge amount of time, and sometimes money, to do this research and to see it posted elsewhere for free, no labor/money involved kinda irks me. My resolution is: don't post it. Just wanted to post my two cents on this subject.

That is hard, definitely. I enjoy reading your posts, and learning about a subject which you are clearly passionate about. However, the downside of putting something on the internet is that it is now out there, and you don't have any control over it. I have seen some of my articles posted on websites I'd never been to before. It was disheartening, but it happens.

My only recommendation would be to post great abbreviated bits online (enough to intrigue and educate us, but not enough to give away all of your research). I think this is generally the approach Roger takes.

Thanks all for your comments.

Good point physics-fan.

Most definitely let everyone know when book is becoming available.

Cool stuff Lee. So what are the dimensions of the cert.? I mean is it as thin as paper? Is it real thin and brittle? Just curious if you knew this or just was able to gain the photographed copy.

Cool stuff Lee. So what are the dimensions of the cert.? I mean is it as thin as paper? Is it real thin and brittle? Just curious if you knew this or just was able to gain the photographed copy.

I found this image:

Oregon_Trail_Certificate2.jpg

Excellent information. Harding didn't get much use out of his "Lifetime Membership." He kicked the bucket on August 2, 1923 during the tour. He was at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco.

[There was speculation that his wife had him bumped off thanks to his philandering. He was, until recently, considered the stupidest person ever elected President.]

Excellent information. Harding didn't get much use out of his "Lifetime Membership." He kicked the bucket on August 2, 1923 during the tour. He was at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco.

[There was speculation that his wife had him bumped off thanks to his philandering. He was considered by me to be the stupidest person ever elected President.]