• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does NGC tell the difference between BU and PL world coins?

3 posts in this topic

Hello, and thank you for (hopefully) answering my question.

I'd like to know how NGC's World Coin graders/attributers distinguish between the BU and Prooflike versions of world coins. Is it by strike quality? Are there diagnostics? Does the original government packaging help?

An example from past submissions for me is my 1954 South Africa PL 5 Shillings which was graded PL65 (but I sent it in as the BU version.)

My current example would be West African States 1972 500 Francs that is still sealed in a clear cello pouch.

Thank you,

~benjamin

• Administrator

Thanks for your question. South Africa 5 Shillings came three different ways. Proof, coins that came in the proof set. Circulation issue which was released for general circulation in bags and rolls and Prooflike which were individual 5 shillings sold to collectors.

Thank you for the response, Dena.

I appreciate that you are very busy with the changeover to the new software and all the additional work, but you did not answer my question.  I am aware that they came in different strikes, I'm asking how NGC tells which is which.

Thanks,

~benjamin

"stldanceartist" when you guys get to merging my accounts