• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2005 California Quarter errors

6 posts in this topic

I have a 2005 California Quarter missing the 005 in the date on the observe and on reverse the American is missing in California, missing the te in Yosemite missing the ley in Valley and missing unem in E puberlus unem. Trying to find out rarity and value.

Welcome to the forum!

Really hard to tell you much without pictures.

First guess, the coin has been struck through grease. This is incredibly common, and worth zero premium.

If you show us pictures, we might be able to tell you something more/different.

Welcome to the boards!

Yes, missing dates, letters or design elements are a common occurrence on minted coins due to foreign substances or debris on the planchet (unstruck coin) or on the die itself.

Pictures of the coin in question would be most helpful in identifying the anomaly on this 2005 California quarter.

PS: MY Grandmother had a stinky coin purse but I was always glad when she pulled out a dime or even a nickel and it was off the penny candy section.