• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 peace dollar

48 posts in this topic

I would have suggested 1918 as the date, as that's when the armistice was declared. There was no PEACE in 1917, but it's still an nicely crafted item. Note Francisci's rejected reverse, which had to be modified by Morgan.

Good point.

That reverse intrigues the heck out of me. Can't wait to get it in hand. It does look very well done.

mark

Counterfeit coin. Method of manufacture is immaterial. The law is clear.

If the law were clear, and indeed these were counterfeits, wouldn't Carr be in prison?

Not necessarily. The law is quite clear about drug dealers too, but how many of them aren't in prison?

Not quite the same thing. Counterfeiting is a Secret Service issue. I would bet that the Secret Service has fully vetted Mr Carr's activities, knows his address, and would have arrested him long ago if they thought they could put him in jail for counterfeiting.

If the law were clear, and indeed these were counterfeits, wouldn't Carr be in prison?

Not necessarily. The law is quite clear about drug dealers too, but how many of them aren't in prison?

I only learned law from watching TV but generally a crime must have intent to harm or defraud or involve negligence leading to a criminal act or injury/loss. Counterfeiting as a crime has a defined intent. That intent does not exist in DC's production of these never-existed coins. He is not trying to pass these as legal tender. His target audience is not that which may mistake these as legal tender. And he is openly attaching himself to the product. Something a counterfeiter, or any criminal, would rarely do(would say never but extreme cases or serial killers wanting to get caught et cetera).

Now many have cited the problem of someone mistaking these via inheritance or some other method, as being something they are not, well that is not DC's problem. Just as someone with a gun committing a crime is not the gun manufacturer's problem. There are many things we would have to get rid of if we were banning due to its inherent possibility of a crime being committed in the wrong hands, guns, cars, any blunt object.

Anyone crusading against these pieces but has no problem with hobo nickels or any other number of artistic pieces done over the centuries using legal tender, is nothing short of a hypocrite.

in for 1 of each.

Not quite the same thing. Counterfeiting is a Secret Service issue. I would bet that the Secret Service has fully vetted Mr Carr's activities, knows his address, and would have arrested him long ago if they thought they could put him in jail for counterfeiting.

Exactly! The whole "oh they are soooooo busy with other things" is garbage.

If I start selling drugs on the corner of my street fully advertising in broad daylight trust me, I will get arrested.

These are not my thing but I appreciate the artistry of them and regard them, as more of a 'curiosity'.

I'd rather spend my money on actual coins that are unaltered but I still think DCarr's products are kind of cool.

If the Federal Government doesn't have a problem with DCarr, then neither do I. :)

Puzzled as to the choice of 1917 as the date, since WWI ended in 1918.

Actually WWI ended in 1921. The armistice in 1918 was just an agreed cease fire. The last of the actual signing of the peace treaties ending the war occurred in Nov 1921, hence the rush to get the Peace dollar into production because they wanting it to be released in the same year as the official declaration of Peace.

I only learned law from watching TV but generally a crime must have intent to harm or defraud or involve negligence leading to a criminal act or injury/loss. Counterfeiting as a crime has a defined intent. That intent does not exist in DC's production of these never-existed coins. He is not trying to pass these as legal tender. His target audience is not that which may mistake these as legal tender. And he is openly attaching himself to the product. Something a counterfeiter, or any criminal, would rarely do(would say never but extreme cases or serial killers wanting to get caught et cetera).

Now many have cited the problem of someone mistaking these via inheritance or some other method, as being something they are not, well that is not DC's problem. Just as someone with a gun committing a crime is not the gun manufacturer's problem. There are many things we would have to get rid of if we were banning due to its inherent possibility of a crime being committed in the wrong hands, guns, cars, any blunt object.

Anyone crusading against these pieces but has no problem with hobo nickels or any other number of artistic pieces done over the centuries using legal tender, is nothing short of a hypocrite.

in for 1 of each.

If manufacturers of various products can be found guilty of negligence, which leads to harm or a crime, it's not a stretch to think that some of Mr. Carr's creations will eventually land him in hot water, legally.

And I see nothing hypocritical in distinguishing hobo nickels from Carr "over-strikes". I believe that the latter are far more likely than the former, to be confused for US coinage, by a very large majority of society.

I do believe that anyone doing what Carr is doing is something of a thrill seeker, or has a death wish. There is a personality type, ESTP, known as "self-confident", that would be most likely to do this sort of thing. I certainly would not engage in such "nearly illegal" activities myself, but I am an ESTJ, known as "serious traditionalist". I prefer not to have a 1/2" thick file at the Secret Service, FBI, CIA, or NSA, please.

I do believe that anyone doing what Carr is doing is something of a thrill seeker, or has a death wish. There is a personality type, ESTP, known as "self-confident", that would be most likely to do this sort of thing. I certainly would not engage in such "nearly illegal" activities myself, but I am an ESTJ, known as "serious traditionalist". I prefer not to have a 1/2" thick file at the Secret Service, FBI, CIA, or NSA, please.

The riskiest aspect of what I do is the potential for losing a finger.

PS:

I already had a file at the NSA long before I ever had a mint.

in for 1 of each.

If manufacturers of various products can be found guilty of negligence, which leads to harm or a crime, it's not a stretch to think that some of Mr. Carr's creations will eventually land him in hot water, legally.

Well maybe if DC starts cutting his planchets too sharp on the edges and someone starts flinging them at people, you might get a point for this one.

in for 1 of each.

Well maybe if DC starts cutting his planchets too sharp on the edges and someone starts flinging them at people, you might get a point for this one.

Have you heard of financial "harm"? And you conveniently ignored the "which leads to crime" issue, as well as the distinction between hobo nickels and Carr pieces.

in for 1 of each.

Have you heard of financial "harm"? And you conveniently ignored the "which leads to crime" issue, as well as the distinction between hobo nickels and Carr pieces.

The website(s) stating the pieces are legal, yet there there has not been legal adjudication.

in for 1 of each.

The website(s) stating the pieces are legal, yet there there has not been legal adjudication.

Has there been a legal dispute over these? If no, is something illegal until proven legal??

This is an EPIC offering from A-Z that will go down as one of the greatest overstrikes/series Carr has ever produced imo. Better get em while you can! :)

And I must say that as a VAMmer the clashed dies 64d Morgan is simply amazing