• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 peace dollar

48 posts in this topic

Dan Carr's newest release!!

I hesitated posting this but I know there are some members here that don't travel ATS and it's just too cool not to share.

I'm sure the lawyers will jump in and derail the thread sooner rather than later.

There's also an interesting thread ATS that is related to the piece, link below.

image_zpsvymhm234.jpeg

Link

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/973402/original-1921-peace-dollar-reverse-bronze-cast-with-broken-sword-design#latest

That is a counterfeit. It is not a Peace Dollar. It is not cool. It is harmful to the hobby.

If you want a nice Peace Dollar, the US mint made them from 1921 to 1935, and they are widely available.

That is a counterfeit. It is not a Peace Dollar. It is not cool. It is harmful to the hobby.

If you want a nice Peace Dollar, the US mint made them from 1921 to 1935, and they are widely available.

This is an excellent summary of the issue, and reflects my thoughts. There is no question, and it isn't even close in my humble opinion. I'll leave it at this. For those that actually care about the law, there are plenty of threads where the legal nuances are discussed ad nauseam.

For the posters that praise this stuff, please don't ever refer to any of "China's finest" or the "Alibaba special" as counterfeits anymore. It makes you look hypocritical and asinine when you (rightfully) criticize those pieces of "art" and praise these. At least be consistent in what you argue for. If one isn't harmful for the hobby, then neither is the other. I don't care about some flip insert that will be lost in the coming years.

P.S. Real artists sign their work and don't rip off other people's designs, merely changing the date to their own.

Id like to hear from dcarrs supporters on this....coinman hit it on the head....how can you like this but hate on the chinese coins?

Not to jump on the crazy train to hell but the Chinese fakes are not over strikes like dans are. This horse has been beat to smithereens. You can find the other threads and curl up on the couch and read for days or just stick around here, the Carr haters can't help themselves and will debate this until the cows come home.

Id like to hear from dcarrs supporters on this....coinman hit it on the head....how can you like this but hate on the chinese coins?

Not to jump on the crazy train to hell but the Chinese fakes are not over strikes like dans are. This horse has been beat to smithereens. You can find the other threads and curl up on the couch and read for days or just stick around here, the Carr haters can't help themselves and will debate this until the cows come home.

Deflection... In terms of effect on this hobby, how is this distinction meaningful? It's not. That is merely Carr's attempt to circumvent the counterfeiting statutes.

As a matter of law, this attempted distinction is nothing more than a red herring to muddy the waters. I'm not rehashing that again as the issues have been fully explored multiple times. Overstruck coins can be counterfeits if made in the resemblance or similitude of U.S. coinage.

I agree it's been fully explored!!!

I think it's pretty cool Dan was able to find the cast bronze of the broken sword reverse, on eBay no less! Almost has a meant to be feel to it. The same feeling I got when Roger found the glass pattern cent on eBay. I think some items just have a way of finding the right owners.

I agree it's been fully explored!!!

I think it's pretty cool Dan was able to find the cast bronze of the broken sword reverse, on eBay no less!...The same feeling I got when Roger found the glass pattern cent on eBay.

We can at least agree on this.

Yup, counterfeit.

Makes me mad. Looks so much better than my real 1917 Peace dollar.

Lance.

The resemblance need not be exact. When the Chinese produce 1794 CC Trade Dollars, what do you call them?

Fantasy coins.

Lance.

I bought a few of the newly listed items. Carr issues are generally the most fun per dollar spent of any collectibles I endulge in hobby wise.

I won't play in any the legal reindeer game discussions

In this thread. Have at it. You can charge each other by the word.

mark

Yup, counterfeit.

Makes me mad. Looks so much better than my real 1917 Peace dollar.

Lance.

The resemblance need not be exact. When the Chinese produce 1794 CC Trade Dollars, what do you call them?

Fantasy coins.

Lance.

Fantasy Tokens*

They are not coins.

Counterfeit coin. Method of manufacture is immaterial. The law is clear.

If the law were clear, and indeed these were counterfeits, wouldn't Carr be in prison?

Counterfeit coin. Method of manufacture is immaterial. The law is clear.

If the law were clear, and indeed these were counterfeits, wouldn't Carr be in prison?

Not necessarily. The law is quite clear about drug dealers too, but how many of them aren't in prison?

Saying you like DC's work here is like telling my wife that Donald Trump is not the anti-Christ. It upsets her world view and just makes her angry. For the record, I like DC's work.

Saying you like DC's work here is like telling my wife that Donald Trump is not the anti-Christ. It upsets her world view and just makes her angry. For the record, I like DC's work.

How do we know DCarr is not Beelzebub?

Come to think of it I've never seen them together

mark

Come to think of it I've never seen them together

mark

Ha !

I had to look up "Beelzebub".

If you want to get all metaphysical (I normally don't, but since you started it ...) ;) ...

My "number" is "9". My birth time, day, month, and year all have a "9" in them. My "zodiac" sign is "Virgo" (also associated with the number 9). In a Tarot card deck, card number 9 is "The Hermit" (following one's own path, illumination), and it is also associated with Virgo. This card has special associations with two other cards: "The Moon" (Moonlight Mint, night-owl habits, illusion); and "The Devil" (collecting, hoarding, evil, deception, entrapment). The Hermit's lantern sheds light on illusion and deception, counteracting the effects of night and the Devil.

Translation:

You won't see me and "Beelzebub" together because I scare it away.

If you believe any of that then ... I'll be sure to keep my eye (and my lantern) on you ;)

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I would have suggested 1918 as the date, as that's when the armistice was declared. There was no PEACE in 1917, but it's still an nicely crafted item. Note Francisci's rejected reverse, which had to be modified by Morgan.