• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This has to be the largest slab ever made!

36 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if these beasts are cast and tooled/machined or struck from dies? I can't imagine a press large enough to do the job.

I don't know about these, but the one ton 1,000,000 Australian Red Kangaroo was cast and tooled.

Does anyone know if these beasts are cast and tooled/machined or struck from dies? I can't imagine a press large enough to do the job.

I don't know about these, but the one ton 1,000,000 Australian Red Kangaroo was cast and tooled.

These are probably struck from dies. As far as I am aware, China strikes all of their big gold. They do use a casting process on silver and copper/brass/bronze (CBB) sometimes, but that is less common in recent years. There are lots of CBB coins cast, but I can only think of a few that are cast in silver, namely the 9 sons of the dragon set from 2012, which is spectacular.