• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First PCGS Non-Registry Coin posted by Electric Peak Collection

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It had to happen sooner or later.

One of the other coins I "won" in the Heritage FUN auctions was an addition to my set of proof Liberty Seated Half Dimes, 1858-1873. It fills the 1859 slot in my collection, but not in the NGC Registry. It is graded PR64CAM by PCGS, and is therefore not eligible. It also has a green CAC sticker.

This is my first higher dollar purchase that will not be in the registry. I have not been in the PCGS Registry, and have no plans to get involved with that. Why would I, with a mixed NGC and PCGS collection, decide to start up in a place that will not accept a majority of my coins? (And a related hint to NGC: Don't expect as many new registry members as you were getting prior to the decision to exclude PCGS-graded coins.)

I will, however, continue to participate in the NGC Registry. But I will not cross my PCGS coins. Even at a discounted price, it seems foolish to me to spend money to switch from one company to the other. I collect coins, not holders or special inserts. I won't care if there is a lack of slab uniformity if I ever display or sell my collection. (That said, I have paid to "upgrade" a number of old, beaten-up NGC slabs to newer scratch-resistant edge-view holders for a number of my smaller coins. I wanted to be able to see and photograph them better.)

In any case, the new addition to my set of proofs is the first in quite a while. Because there are only a few, hard to locate coins left to complete my main set of business strike Liberty Seated Half Dimes, I probably will try to finish off the collector era proofs in the near future. My goal for that set is cameo designated coins, graded 64 or better.

Alan

17816.jpg

See more journals by Electric Peak Collection