• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's Not a Half Dime! posted by Electric Peak Collection

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Addition to Type Collection...

I had been full of anticipation heading into Heritage's auction sessions associated with the FUN show. I was fully expecting to add another ex-Gardner half dime to my collection. Alas, someone else wanted it more...

Not to worry, though. I had other coins in mind. In addition to the series set building that has been my primary numismatic activity, I occasionally add to my type collection. In this case, it wasn't one of those pesky little half dimes. It's a whole dime!

When I was in high school, my collection started expanding beyond Lincoln Cents. In addition to learning to love the early copper, I assembled a complete set of uncirculated Roosevelt silver dimes that still resides in a nice plastic holder, and I dabbled in Morgan Dollars, Washington Quarters, Mercury Dimes, Buffalo Nickels, Indian Cents, and Barber Dimes.

The new type coin is now my best example of that last series. It's an 1892 dime. Being in an NGC holder, it even found its way into my registry type sets. It's graded MS 66, with green CAC sticker.

It's odd though. I really like the Barber Dimes, but simply cannot get excited about the quarters and half dollars. I'm not sure why. In any event, my new dime is pictured below.

Alan

17811.jpg

See more journals by Electric Peak Collection

Congratulations Alan, that dime is a real looker! I'm a little envious because I'm looking to upgrade an MS-63 Barber Dime for my type set. If I could get one that looked like yours, I'd be happy for life. It's a beautiful coin with excellent color in all the right places. Congratulations on such a nice find.

Gary